Too shallow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I was looking at enclosures for squirt, who is a sulcata about 5 months old maybe. He is currently in a 20 gln tank and i feel like he needs some more room, even though the aquarium is good for the humidity. I saw this storage bin at walmart and i thought it was perfect, the lid is split in half so you can leave one side closed and one open. But with the lights being clipped onto the sides i thought it might be too hot for him or even melt the plastic because it is so shallow. it is about inches deep. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• maybe.png
    maybe.png
    702.1 KB · Views: 71

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
To shallow, I got a 50 gallon from target and had a spare piece of plexi ( probably cheap at homedept) and did this.

6F0DA1FE-2BC2-40D3-90E9-A37019828FD3-12994-00000B31E718811B.jpg

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Mine are about 4 months old. That is the exact container I use for them inside. I hang the lights from above, so no clamps. I also cut a hole out in the lid where the CHE heat gets through. I have a really easy time keeping humidity and temps. where I want them. I like it more shallow because I have it up on a shelf and I can see in easily and clean it out easy too.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
Well he is right next to the heater so that is always good. What do you use to hang the lights?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I suggest something bigger and more closed in. Tubs are fine for hatchlings, but sulcatas just get so big so fast, that they outgrow them. Just build a big 4x8' and be done with it until its time to move him outside...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Squirt58 said:
I was just going to put him in my extra 75 gln tank.

There is no right or wrong here. Just opinions. I think a 75 is too small for a 5 month old sulcata. One you put in all the "furniture" there is hardly any room to move. They need room to walk around and explore. Locomotion actually helps with digestion much the same way it does with horses. Keeping the cramped is not good for them, in my opinion. I like to give mine as much space as I can. I have some 10" sulcatas in a 30x30' outdoor pen and it feels too small to me. They can walk from one end of the enclosure to the other in a matter of seconds.

Anyhow. This is just my take on things. I like tortoises to have lots of room to move. I start babies in 100 gallon tanks or 4x4' enclosures. I will put a hatchling in a 40 gallon if I run out of space, but I move them out in a month or so...

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
Oh wow thats huge! Well i currently live in new york and its winter here, so im trying to think of something he can be inside until the summer time. :/ maybe something like a bigger storage tub? Space is just so limited for me right now.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
What's the size if the 75? 4 foot by ? It could work depending in size, or a 50 gallon rubbermaid

Status
Not open for further replies.