too much humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny So Cal, USA
I have a question... for someone who lives in a tropical enviorment, thats totally humid, can this be a problem for a sulcata? Can too much humidity cause respritory problems, should the baby be soaked less than in a dry climate, and should the substrate be made more sandy? (i guess that was more than 1 question!)

M

Maggie Cummings

SULCATACRAZY said:
I have a question... for someone who lives in a tropical enviorment, thats totally humid, can this be a problem for a sulcata? Can too much humidity cause respritory problems, should the baby be soaked less than in a dry climate, and should the substrate be made more sandy? (i guess that was more than 1 question!)

I live in the Pacific NorthWest in a part of Oregon that rains for 7 months. I keep 2 Sulcata and I don't believe that humidity is harmful to them. When they were smaller and on substrate I kept the substrate fairly moist without a problem. In fact my smaller Sulcata has an eye problem and part of his treatment is to run a vaporizer all night in the Sulcata shed. If I go in the shed at night to make sure they are both in bed it is hot and very humid in there. The rule is it can be wet and hot but never cold and wet.
The bug that causes URTI in tortoises is present in them always. When they get an URTI it's because the tortoise got stressed out or something like that to cause the bug to flare up. I am not explaining that very well. I guess what I'm trying to say is no it's not too humid for your tortoises.
I soak hatchlings that are kept in a container under hot lights everyday. They dehydrate very easily. Especially under a basking light. HTH

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that was a good reply, Maggie. I just want to add that no matter how humid your climate is where you live, it is probably NOT that humid in your baby's container because the lights and heaters dry it out. I have never lived in Florida or Georgia, where it is hot and humid, but my GUESS is that in the house with the lights and air conditioning its not as humid as it is outside. And once your tortoise gets big enough to live outside, the humidity isn't going to harm him.

Yvonne

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
The question came to me from a gal in Hawaii.... so very hot & humid and no ac. Thanks for clearing up the humidity question. Since they come from the dry Sahara desert... I was concerned with too much humidity being a problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.