Tongues

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I have noticed in most of the photos of adorable tortoise tongues, they are pinkish... Mr. Binker's and Flash's tongues are pinkish. But my two DT's tongues are more whiteish with yellow undertones. Is this normal or is it a sign of illness or deficiency?

I know with mammals sometimes pale gums can mean there is an iron deficiency. Just want to make sure.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Pale mucosal membranes like the gums or eyes is not just a sign for iron deficiancy, they can tell you an immense amount about the animals health, like if internal parasites are causing present and causing problems, the bacteria in the gut has gotten out of hand, ect. I would wait and see if other keepers of DT say that the pale colouration is normal or not, then figure out what is wrong. Are they eating normally? Their poop? Urates?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Well, I have noticed Sahara, pictured above, has more of the whiteish tongue and her shell is softer along the sides than Mojave. Her she'll hasn't gotten softer since I got her, but it hasn't hardened up either.

Should I make sure she gets more calcium, what other nutrients does she need?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The men folk here all have variations of "pinkness" in their tongues...some a little more and some a little less....I would take into consideration all of their behavior moreover than the sole pinkness of the tongue....just my take on it...