Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
After literally years of searching, I finally found my old turtle pics. This was my first turtle ever and I got him for my birthday in September of 1979. The date on the back of some of these photos says Aug. 1980. The pictures are absolutely terrible quality, but my mind fills in the blanks just fine. I tried for many years to figure out what, exactly, he was, and only recently figured out he was a Western Box Turtle, Terrapene ornata luteola. I have no way to verify this, but I'm pretty sure. Giving him up was one of the stupidest things I've ever done. I'd give anything to get him back...

2vmwscx.jpg

2ni7b5v.jpg

5pfqxd.jpg

erbuhg.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Imagine if you had kept him! Our backyard turtle (Eastern Box Turtle) was well over 60 years. The summer before last was the first time he didn't come up from hibernation and again last summer, so we are assuming that he died. I inherited him from my Dad. I am so sad that I didn't take any pictures. I do have some on a few old 8 mm movies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I realize the pics are almost useless, but can any of the box turtle people out there make a guess as to species? I'm pretty sure he was a luteola, but every once in a while I see a three toed pic that looks kind of familiar.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Already on page 3 today and no response yet. Bump.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He looks like a three toed to me also, but it's hard to tell.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
He looks like he got around. Did your mom not protest the little puddles and pellets he left behind and underfoot? She must have been a good sport! :p

M

Maggie Cummings

Lordy what bad linoleum... that brings back so many memories. Every house in the 50's had that linoleum...he looks like a 3 toed to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, Tom...but the pictures aren't clear enough for me to even make a guess. If you held a gun to my head, I'd say 3-toe. Was there any color on the plastron?

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry Tom, I didn't mean any insult. It just brought back flashes of my childhood to see that picture...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the guesses. From what I understand the Westerns have some pretty good color when they are young and then darken up as they get older. The pet store had two types for sale. This was 1979 and the listed them as Eastern or Western box turtles. I think both were $24.99. I know these pics are terrible and blurry, but he was pretty dark. I was pretty sure for a while that he was a luteola, but lately I have seen some pics of three toeds that look pretty similar too.

Thanks so much for the guesses. I guess I'll never know for sure.

Let this be a lesson to all kids and teenagers: Don't give away an animal that you've had since you were a little child just because you temporarily lose interest in your teen years. Man I was stupid! When I'm on my death bed and they ask me what I regretted in my lifetime I will start with "giving up Tommy Turtle".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just spent an hour looking at ever box turtle pic I could find. He definitely wasn't a three-toed. He most closely resembled a Western, but there were a few gulf coast pics that looked pretty similar.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
So sorry you don't have that turtle any more. I can only imagine how you feel.

I still remember the first pet 3 toed box turtle I ever had. I bought her at a pet store way back in 1984.

Believe it or not I stil have her! I never expected to have her this long!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also have the very first box turtle that I ever got. She has a distinctive dog chew mark on the front of her carapace, so I can always recognize her. I got her in the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.