To hibernate or not to hibernate? HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
My box turtle is currently residing indoors at night (he has a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub) and during the day, he is outdoors in a small temporary enclosure. (we are going to build the big one during spring). My question is this: since I just got him recently (my brother rescued him from the middle of the busy highway) should i keep him inside this winter or allow him to hibernate? I am in Texas so it doesnt get too cold here, but we do have ALOT of skunks and posseums. I appreciate any feedback you can offer! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is an easy one...

The rule of thumb is that you should always keep a new-to-you turtle or tortoise awake during his first winter with you. This gives you a chance to get to know the turtle and the way he looks and responds, letting you know and understand if he's ill or well.

It should be fairly easy to keep him awake and indoors, because he's not huge, but a good size for an indoor habitat. Just keep his lights on to mimic summer time days, that is, 12 to 14 hours a day. And if your house cools down below 65 degrees at night, it would be a good idea to have a heat source at night too.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yvonne has given you great advice and there is nothing I can add to it. Keeping your turtle awake this winter will give him the chance to entertain you and you will get to know him...

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
Thank you so much Yvonne-I appreciate your advice! Hopefully by this time next year I will know a lot more about keeping Booker happy and healthy!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Agreed 100%! Also, for future years, there is no reason you ever have to hibernate this turtle. You can raise a happy and healthy tort or turtle without hibernation. Hibernating him without enough education as to how to do it safely can actually be much more harmful then beneficial.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you having any issues with him wanting to hibernate (as in is he slowing down or going off food)?

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
Not at all. Quite the opposite. His appetite is very good and he seems very active-likes to soak in the water quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.