Tiny hermann ate perlite - help!

tinyherms

Hello
I'm the proud new owner of a baby Hermann's tortoise. He is amazing, but I'm a newbie and quite nervous as he's not quite 1 year old and very tiny. I think he might have eaten one bite of Perlite that fell in his enclosure from one of my plant pots. Luckily I grabbed it from him before he could take another bite. I thought it was a bit of cuttlefish bone, but it looked odd so I took it from him and I do think it is probably Perlite. I bathed him and he passed a stool which looked fine. He's been half sleeping and basking and moving about and eating since then and has now gone to bed - just curled up in his shell under the heat lamp spot (turned off).
I'm very very worried about him. Please could someone let me know:
a) what can practically be done to make sure he's going to be ok? Lots of baths? Lots of succulents? Cucumber?
b) what "normal" behaviour is like - how active should he be and how much should he be basking or stationary? How can I tell if he's not passing the Perlite and may need more help?
c) are there any "danger signs" I should look out for tomorrow when he gets up again?
Any advice would be very helpful. If you have had this happen to your tortoise with no ill effect, I'd love to know as it would really put my mind at rest.
Thanks in advance. I hope to be a member of this forum for many many happy and safe and healthy years to come!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You've got the right idea. Keep him very well hydrated until the perlite passes.

tinyherms

Thank you! I'll keep bathing him, then, as often as I can. I've been researching for ages and just got him. I can't believe this happened. I'm really hoping he'll be just fine. I'd be devastated if he suffered for it.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
My little sulcata has chomped a bit of perlite a couple of times and suffered no ill effects, but it can be very dangerous and care should be taken to keep it away from them. Just keep him hydrated and make sure he is eating and pooping without struggle and everything will fine.

I get where you are coming from though, my little guy also ate and pooped out a "large" pebble over the weekend and I nearly had a heart attack over it!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The general rule of thumb is: if they can swallow it, they can pass it. Keep hydrated and soon your tortoise will have a suprise for you. :)

tinyherms

Thanks so much for your kind words of support and help. He's pooped twice since then (once in the bath, once on the soil) and is eating well. Is this a good sign?

He's getting as close to frolicking as I think a tortoise can get, so I'm hoping all's well! I've bathed him twice today and will keep bathing him regularly, though he seems to enjoy jumping in his water dish, too, which is good to see. He's a pretty awesome little dude and I think the world of him. I'm very grateful for your words of wisdom. Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes, it's a very good sign. As long as things are shall we say " moving" along. Ten there should'nt be a problem, in lets say 2 weeks, when the suprise arrives.

tinyherms

Gosh, that's a long time... I ended up calling a vet I was so worried, and they said that it takes ages for things to process in tortoises. I'll wait for it, then, and will keep an eye out for sluggishness in the meantime.