Time to trim beak?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
Hey y'all, Janis looks like her beak is getting kindof long. Should I trim it?

I've seen youtube videos on how to do it, but I'm a little terrified of doing it myself and hurting her. So if it doesn't need a trim I'd rather not... She has a cuttlebone in the tank she never touches, and I feed her uncut greens on a textured tile to try and keep it filed down. Any other ideas welcome. Thanks!!!16107243_10154692896630935_5555133849706640912_o.jpg

Buddytheboxie

You can use like a nail filer to trim it. I use to do it to my box turtle till he peed on me and Until i found a place to take him to. Buddy(my baby) hates the Cuttle bone and pretends it is not there. Lol

Oogway the russian tort

doesn't look bad but if it does and u have to take matter to your own hands tip your tortoise forward so they feel like their gonna fall the file it with a nail file and if it gets really bad then u might have to use nail clippers

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Try to find a big, flat rough textured rock to place her food on when you feed her! That works super good for Artemis. But the little booger loves her cuttlebone candy that i give her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I don't think you need to trim that beak. If you can find a piece of broken cement or a rough stepping stone, something like that, then clean it well and feed the tortoise on that. As he bites for the food, he scrapes his beak and it helps keep it trimmed. Also, biting of bits of food keeps the beak in shape. Don't cut the food up. Feed foods with a hard peel and leave the peel on. Leave a cuttlebone in the habitat.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
No, I don't think you need to trim that beak. If you can find a piece of broken cement or a rough stepping stone, something like that, then clean it well and feed the tortoise on that. As he bites for the food, he scrapes his beak and it helps keep it trimmed. Also, biting of bits of food keeps the beak in shape. Don't cut the food up. Feed foods with a hard peel and leave the peel on. Leave a cuttlebone in the habitat.

Ok awesome - I do all that, and I just recently switched her over to a textured tile, so hopefully that will help. Thank you thank you!!! I was really scared of having to trim it!