Time to build bigger for my RF...Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hey guys. Well, my redfoot is now roughly 8" OTC. She's growing fast, so I want to set her up with a new enclosure.

First off, this is her indoor for winter. (Her outside one is fine as is.) What sort of dimensions would you guys recommend?

I was considering getting a few rubbermaids, and doing similar to the sticky post. Or perhaps another bookcase?

I want it to be able to hold good humidity, have a lot of room, and be sturdy and easy to make / not too expensive to purchase.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
How much room do you have? Go absolutely as large as you have the space for...I would say 8x4 at least. Rubbermaids could be done...But if you have the power-tools, could you just build a wooden enclosure? Line it with PVC pond liner...You can make it, that way, to whatever size you want, and you can make it with a closed top for humidity. Just a suggestion.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I have a pretty good amount of room to manage, and that large of size should be quite doable. I'd say my limit would probably be around 10x6, preferably a little bit smaller.

I suppose I could. I just have very little experiences with building things. =(

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Go as big as you can with the room you have...The more room, the bigger the wading pool, the more plants, etc. Now, wood will likely be a little more costly, but I believe it a better choice then storage containers....
...Construction should be pretty simple. If you did it 10x6, I would use 4x4s at all four corners, along with a 4x4 in the middle of each 10 ft. side. Make a rectangle of 2x4s. Screw them together to form a 10x6 rectangle. Make two of these. Then put the 4x4s to put them together. After that....3/4" plywood on the bottom and all the sides. However, I would make it so the insides are completely flat, and there are no 4x4s on the inside. This would make it easy to add the pond-liner that would be needed to water-proof the enclosure....Then the lid can be made of 2x2s with plexi-glass screwed to it. A not with plexi-glass, pilot holes must be screwed first to not crack it...
An enclosure like this would really be relatively simple. If you need any help let me know.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks, Peter. I'll track down supplies and try and write out some plans and see where I can go with this. :]

I'm sure she'll love the upgrade.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
You should post a pic of the space you plan to put it in. Might help a little with construction tips. If you wanted, you could always go with an L shape. The different shape might make it a little more interesting for her, if she can't see across her habitat :).

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I can post pictures of the room it'd be in later on. An L shape would work fine. I could put it against the end of the room so it fits alongside the wall, just fine. Plus, I think she would enjoy it. She's quite the little explorer.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Nixxy said:
I can post pictures of the room it'd be in later on. An L shape would work fine. I could put it against the end of the room so it fits alongside the wall, just fine. Plus, I think she would enjoy it. She's quite the little explorer.

Yeah, most tortoises/turtles find L shapes more interesting. It breaks the line of sight, and sort of makes the enclosure larger from their perspective. When they can see all the way across...Well, why would they walk all that way :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.