Thoughts on baby tortoise's name.. (I'll bribe you with cute pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seejai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
I over think almost everything I do. Therefore, as I'm trying to name my new baby, I don't know the gender (nor do I think I'll be able to tell for a while) and hopefully he/she will live a long time. So I'm thinking something gender neutral that won't sound completely insane in 50 years. Is anyone else thrown off by not knowing the gender and knowing the tortoise will hopefully be around a long time or is it just me?

Related: I had 3 betta fishes named Julius I, II, and III and a cat named Kat, so this is why I'm trying to put a little effort into this.

Ideas:
Sage
Perry
Donovan
Emerson
Sebastian
Zeppelin
Simba

Attachments

• TURTLES 005.jpg
    TURTLES 005.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 100
  • TURTLES 004.jpg
    TURTLES 004.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 271006_4844700001265_494055637_n.jpg
    271006_4844700001265_494055637_n.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 78

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
Sounds like your hoping it's a boy. I would go with Sage. But Sully sounds like a good name too!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I think he looks like an Emerson. :) Personally, if I had another sulcata, I would name it Tortellini. :p Also, back when I was looking for a name for my my most recent sulcata, someone on the forum (motero, I think) so awesomely recommended the name Honey-Thunder. I did not end up using it, but I think it's fantastic.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Sage
Perry
Donovan
Emerson
Sebastian
Zeppelin
Simba

^ I personally would not name my tortoise any of these. (I mean absolutely no offense by this) - I say this, BECAUSE once you get to know your tortoises personality, names like that make less sense. If you're going to go human name, you gotta go full blown ridiculous. Think "Sir Charles Westminster III" The first 4 are human names, sebastian is from the little mermaid and was a lobster, zeppelin is a blimp / second half of led zeppelin, and simba was a lion.

"Chomper" --> Makes sense when you see it eat
"Tortellini" ---> is an awesome one
"Shelly" --> for a female is hilarious. I know it doesn't sound that funny at first, but it is.

If I had another tort - I would probably name it Huey Lewis, Rod Stewart, Kenny Loggins or MacGyver... wait, there you go.

That's my suggestion: MacGyver

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
While I agree with you, Biff Malibu, I do think that MacGyver is also a human name. I think MacGyver is cute but I would also wait and get to know what it does and what it is like before naming it. I thought Tortellini was great. I have a thread about naming mine and had very few responses but I liked the names that were suggested. I just have a hard time coming up with a name because nothing really grabs me and makes me think, my tortoise is definitely a ____fill in the blank with an awesome name.
If pressed for a name I would have to go with Tortellini. So clever and cute!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Oh, I forgot to suggest Pee Pee Zoom Zoom. My daughter came up with that one.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would wait to see what fits the personality, but I like Simba.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
lovelyrosepetal said:
While I agree with you, Biff Malibu, I do think that MacGyver is also a human name. I think MacGyver is cute but I would also wait and get to know what it does and what it is like before naming it. I thought Tortellini was great. I have a thread about naming mine and had very few responses but I liked the names that were suggested. I just have a hard time coming up with a name because nothing really grabs me and makes me think, my tortoise is definitely a ____fill in the blank with an awesome name.
If pressed for a name I would have to go with Tortellini. So clever and cute!

The difference between MacGyver as a human name is different, than say "Steve" or "Jeff"

MacGyver is known for being a secret agent who refuses to use a gun and improvises solutions.

So you're basically associating a "Secret Agent" character, to your tortoise (who are generally pretty harmless and reclusive/shy)

You're right though, its probably better to wait a bit - Because you will not know whether its a male or female for a couple years.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Yoshi and Cooper or Koopa for Mario stuff. I like CHOMPER. That's sooooo them when they eat! Why not just go with "a tort named Torty" and keep the theme you have going with all your pervious pets. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.