this came out of him

M

Maggie Cummings

Some of it does, but it mostly looks like substrate to me. What's he on? If he were mine I start supplementing with Miner-All. Made one of mine stop eating rocks...might help your guy too. Make sure he stays well hydrated. Looks like a Sulcata maybe....

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
Oh I forgot he is almost 3 a sulcata and he goes outside in daytime but his substrate inside is orchid hay or water is good. Lol. Um the pieces FLOAT I soak him every other day. He eats tons amount of cuddle bone always has. Like a half a bone at one time then none for three days mybe then eats Tom's of it again (cuddlebone) his Irates when he does them is a lot. Thank you all for helping me and him

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
He's not on water. Spell check. It's suppose to say whatever the good stuff is. And then it says Tom's wrong it's suppose to say tons. Sorry for confusion.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I make it sound like he don't get water. He has a drinking clay tray and for soaking if he wants in day. Sorry again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pieces you show in your picture are bark. If he's on hay now, he must've been on bark at one time in his life, because that surely is what is in the picture!

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hum. When he goes outside I wonder if he can find bark. makes since. oh wait the onside of the pieces feel and look like inside of bone. How long could this have been in him you think? thank you

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
First. Gross. It smells like a horses butt. Lol. It feels like charcoal. When I broke open you see the layers? And like a tough skin in outer edge. Does not look like cuddlebone now.20150219_194653-1.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
It is not uncommon to find undigested or partially digested "foods" in their feces. On occasion, I have seen very similar pieces in my sulcata's poop. Be sure that you are removing the hard backing from the cuttle bone that you are feeding to your tortoise.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
The backing. I read @Tom say it was part of the bone. I used to remove then stopped. oh my. I will remove from now on. Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like cuttle bone to me too. I have not ever seen it pass through undigested like that though. Curious...

When people say remove the backing, they are talking about the plastic or metal hangers that come with cuttle bones intended for use in bird cages. THere is no need to remove anything from a plain regular cuttlebone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not so, Tom. When people refer to the backing, they are talking about the extra hard part on the back of the cuttlebone. In smaller tortoises this might cut their throat or innards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not so, Tom. When people refer to the backing, they are talking about the extra hard part on the back of the cuttlebone. In smaller tortoises this might cut their throat or innards.

Hmm... I've never encountered that problem and I've been feeding whole cuttlebone to hatchlings of many species, as well as adults, for many years. Have you seen this be a problem before?

How would you remove the harder back portion? Its all one continuous piece.