Thinking I made a HUGE mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Just venting..... I took in 2 horribly abused Russians months ago. Posted here first about whether anyone might be interested in taking them , if I did indeed remove them from their present place as I didn't want to commit to more torts.
I had a number of reply's, and waited months for it to become warm and they were thriving beautifully. Really quite a pair, and you could see the smiles from having loads of room, hides and most important food and a place to soak. Having lived on an inch sand and a jar cover for water, you all get the picture.
Well when the weather got warm enough, I posted again and had this one person who emailed me over and over, had no pictures of their place, as their camera was broke, etc....bla bla bla. But really really wanted them. I said it would be about so much to ship them and they right away Paypaled me the money , even though we had to wait till it got just a little bit warmer to ship.
Well guess what??, no response to any of my emails. I am really wondering what the whole thing was about. How much money could you get for 2 adult deformed Russians??
I am just so upset, those poor little dears getting such a bad rap, then finding a great haven, then getting shipped off to who knows what kind of environment.. I am so stupid to believe people.. Who these days doesn't have a cell that can take pictures? If only I just waited, there turned out to be a couple of folks from here that were well established and to those folks I do apologize.
So if anyone sees a pair of Russians for sale,can I get a heads up? Not that I can do anything, it would just be nice to know. They went to Ohio. and this would be months later.
Believe me, I won't be so quick to just say OK, to someone who says just the right things ever again.
I have a line on an abused Sulcata, and I will be sure to not repeat my possible mistake again. I say possible, because I always give people the benefit of the doubt and maybe those 2 Russians are happy and have a lovely home. But why not let me know??
Thanks for hearing my tales of woe!!
Nay

Here's what they looked like.

xbipfm.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Thinking I made a HUGH mistake

Oh Na...Its probably ok. Let's hope for the best. I don't know why they don't give you an update, but I'm sure you did a good thing.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I can so see why your upset, let's just hope they are being very well cared for and loved...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that you're reading WAY to much into this. Just because they haven't responded to you doesn't mean that they are in any way mistreating them. Maybe they just want to cut the cord. Why assume the worst?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
"Why assume the worst?"
Your all right!!! Thank you Thank you.This is why I love this place!
I will think positive from now on..
Again many thanks.
Nay

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Nay I could understand how you feel you became attached especially with the fact of helping them! And when you lost contact it hurt! I believe it will be fine also! PS: Nay I have to ask? what are you feeding those Russians Tortoises in that photo because mine will not eat anything but romaine and I'm pissed! I've tried everything. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not saying anything one way or the other, but I don't own a cell phone. It does happen

hoopalou

5 Year Member
Wexford, Ireland
The opposite has happened to me. I re-homed a large female that the family has no space for (living in an apartment.) When they were handing her over they were ALL crying. I promised that I would stay in touch and keep them updated with her progress.
I have taken photos and videos and even sent the news that she had laid eggs!!!! But after their first reply they have never answered my emails again......
People are strange and it takes all sorts to make the world go 'round. I wouldn't read anything into it if I were you and stop tormenting yourself............ It shows what a kind heart you have...... :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Grogansilver, that's a mixture of frozen veggies (defrosted) mixed with Mazuri, they loved it!!Course all they had was lettuce for 5 years!anything would be better.

And yes I do understand the cell phone thing, but come'on, most folks these days do have one.
Usually in their hands ALL the time!!
Nay

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nay said:
Who these days doesn't have a cell that can take pictures?

Nay I have to say, I have a cell phone but no picture ability with it. As to the rest, sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and hope all is well on the other side of things. Their new owner loves them and is giving them excellent care.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Thanks to all that helped me get over it!! No sooner than I posted this I get an email from the person who I sent off the Russians to. They assure me things are wonderful and these guys have a wonderful permanent life. The pictures are in the mail so to speak, but that isn't a guarantee anyway! So they did take the time to write and I do feel a whole lot better.
Thanks again.
Nay

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am glad to hear that your mind has been put to ease somewhat. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad you got a response. I sent a sulcata baby to an active forum member once and after several posts about how great everything was, she just dropped off the face of the Earth. No replies to emails, PMs or phone calls. Once when I called she answered the phone and you could hear the shock in her voice when she knew it was me. I asked her how things were going and she said "Wrong number" and hung up.

I can only hope for the best, but people are weird sometimes. I'm glad that it seems like your situation is going better than mine.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
Great news! I hate to imagine how stressed I'd be in the same situation. Here's hoping that you get those pictures soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.