The Trouble with Teenage Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Mork and Mindy, my male and female steppe tortoises, are a little over 4 inches long, and getting to be subadults. The female was smaller last year, but this year she has surpassed the male in both length and weight. Last year, the female used to eat more, and the male was more active. I think that is the main reason why she was able to brumate without problems, while he emerged with vitamin A deficiency and dry eyes.

This year, I think the difference between them is even more pronounced. Mindy still eats like a champion, but Mork eats just as little, if not less. Like many males, he likes to patrol and explore his territory, presumably in search of mating opportunities. Whenever I let him near Mindy outside, he courts her, complete with head bobbing and biting. I always interrupt this, because neither of them is big enough to actually mate, and I'm afraid Mindy might get hurt for nothing.

My question is, is there anything I can do to help satisfy Mork's seemingly insatiable urge to patrol and mate? I am concerned because he does not eating as much as she does, and although he's not underweight, he's not plump, either. Any advice on what I can do for him?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Remember, that at maturity, the female will be substantially bigger than the male. It stands to reason, that she will grow faster now.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Wow, my two Russians are pretty much the same way. The only difference is that mine are done growing. My female, Mzee, doesn't disappoint me and eats everything she can every day:), however the male, Zeus, only eats half of his food a lot of the time. Even though he doesn't eat as much, I don't really worry too much; if he is so active I feel he is pretty healthy. Earlier this year I had to separate them because of his biting, but occasionally he gets past the barrier separating them outside and he goes crazy with the courting. As long as they are separated, then he should be ok, and she won't have to worry about injury. You could also try closely watching them when they get older for potential eggs, and this would also prevent injury, if that is what you are aiming for.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
yagyujubei said:
Remember, that at maturity, the female will be substantially bigger than the male. It stands to reason, that she will grow faster now.

Good point. However, not only is my female bigger in absolute terms, she is also proportionately heavier, too. My male's tBMI is 135%, but my female's is 141%.

Falcon70 said:
Wow, my two Russians are pretty much the same way. The only difference is that mine are done growing.

Bear in my mind, reptiles have indeterminate growth, meaning they continue to grow their entire lives. Granted, growth is only slight after a certain point for a given species. But, even if only by a little bit, the longer they live, the bigger they get.

Falcon70 said:
My female, Mzee, doesn't disappoint me and eats everything she can every day:), however the male, Zeus, only eats half of his food a lot of the time. Even though he doesn't eat as much, I don't really worry too much; if he is so active I feel he is pretty healthy.

Yes, that is similar. Are you going to allow both of them to brumate, or do you think you might overwinter your male if he doesn't have a high tBMI, like your female does?

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
That's good to know that he still has room to grow, although I meant to say that I think they are both mature. I actually overwinter both of them; at this time I wouldn't be able to care for hatchlings if mating was successful. However, when they are together, I don't see the size difference effecting him.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
It's been speculated that out of a pair of healthy equal-sized tortoises, the female will always be heavier, because she's natually eating more, so as the build up reserves for egg-production/laying.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:
It's been speculated that out of a pair of healthy equal-sized tortoises, the female will always be heavier, because she's natually eating more, so as the build up reserves for egg-production/laying.

Wow, interesting! Well, I hope that's it, then. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Wow, interesting! Well, I hope that's it, then. :)

That explanation makes sense to me...I was kinda worried as to why Ptolemy, who is pretty much equal in size to Apollonia, alway felt sustantially lighter, even though all 4 eat well...but he's constantly boogieing around their enclosure while she eats and snoozes.

If she had a box of bonbons and a TV, Apollonia could be Peg Bundy!

112-i1.jpg

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.