The need to adapt to changing conditions

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis

They hang out in the warm waters too long, then get caught in the cold!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is awesome! Made me cry, so touching to see such effort and hope for the Kemp's Ridley turtles. Great video.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The turtles will adapt to the new patterns of ocean temperatures eventually, but in the meantime a lot of turtles will die... add it to the running tab of global climate change.

J

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I saw that CBS Saturday morning program too. What a wonderful project. I loved it. I'm hoping that CBS TV news article will generate help and support for the cause. It probably will. That exact News program is also how I first heard about cactus leather and many other things too. It's seen by soooo many people.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And all of the animals are a bit confused. I'm also watching it with birds.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
And all of the animals are a bit confused. I'm also watching it with birds.
I haven't looked at this in a while....maybe it's the Changing of the poles!

LOL...natural climate shift has always been part of the natural evolution of the planet so the animals should be more used to it than we are, since we're relatively new on the planet.....and some of them like our little friends, a lot longer than even the 65mil extinction event that everyone is so familiar with! This must be a walk in the park to them, they've seen far worse!

Not ever easy watching nature, that's why the cool films make me feel so good?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow thanks for sharing this. Almost brought tears to my eyes. If I lived closer to help, I sure would. Thankfully there are lots of animal lovers willing to help save these beautiful creatures.

EricW

Houston, TX
I haven't looked at this in a while....maybe it's the Changing of the poles!

LOL...natural climate shift has always been part of the natural evolution of the planet so the animals should be more used to it than we are, since we're relatively new on the planet.....and some of them like our little friends, a lot longer than even the 65mil extinction event that everyone is so familiar with! This must be a walk in the park to them, they've seen far worse!

Not ever easy watching nature, that's why the cool films make me feel so good?
On this point, many times we think animals are evolving, but have found they evolved with the ability to adapt due to changing conditions. They are natural adaptations to already existing genetic codes for changing conditions. For example, Marine Iguana's shrink as conditions warm. Many will perish in the process, but their genetics are designed to adapt to increase chances of survival.

EricW

Houston, TX
On this point, many times we think animals are evolving, but have found they evolved with the ability to adapt due to changing conditions. They are natural adaptations to already existing genetic codes for changing conditions. For example, Marine Iguana's shrink as conditions warm. Many will perish in the process, but their genetics are designed to adapt to increase chances of survival.
I also meant to say, most organisms have it programed in their genetic code to adapt as climate changes (hotter or colder). The last time it got 2 degrees Celsius warmer was 125,000 years ago and was the Age of the Homo sapiens, the first modern humans (if you believe in evolution) occurred.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I haven't looked it this in a while....
Yes and great point Eric.....I wonder are WE just as susceptible to the inevitable evolution or constant changes the planet goes though as any other creature? I don't know how much "ability to evolve" that we humans have, I'm just not educated in that. Our large benefit seems to me to be that at least to some degree, we can erect a lifestyle and infrastructure to avoid exposure to the same dangers as other creatures. If the ball wobbles, it's gonna get cold and no amount of $$ or brain mass will change that from happening. The scary part is that as a species, we really are pretty weak & soft. I don't think we humans will fare through an ice age for example. Small groups, but not countries. We have societies but from my impressions, they would devolve rather quickly in the event of such a massive change.

interesting conversation...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hmmmm. It's a good thing we are so darn smart that we can recreate ourselves into machines capable of surviving in conditions that are becoming more and more hostile and "unlivable".

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yeah, Terminators or Hybrids. Elon may enjoy getting "chipped" but I think a lot of folks would take a pass on doing it. Frankly, if there's nothing to eat and food cannot be produced in large enough quantities, the ability to withstand many rads from the Sun won't much matter,
Doesn't sound like a good time to me at all.