the general tortoise and the wall issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
so my new redfoot tortoise i bought 3 days ago now is fascinated with trying to walk thru the wall. any way to try and stop this issue. i heard its means its probably stressed out. the habitats temp isnt right or its to small. im thinking its the habitat some recently told me my habitat is to small so thats why i am going to use my tv stand. im a beginner tortoise owner.

if you want to see enclosure setup it looks like this:
Coco the redfoot tortoise

my tv stand looks like this and is this big:
Tv stand for tortoise

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Hmmm, I'm not sure what to suggest here, but I will try! First, you need to know four different temps, basking temp, cool temp, night temp and ambient temp. I don't really know much about redfoots, but I would imagine wrong temps could cause stress. It's hard to judge size by your video.

There is one thing I can offer, it seems from your video, the surface is pretty reflective. Maybe he is seeing himself? Also, only having him for three days, maybe he's still settling in? Just my thoughts... I'm sure others will help :)

EKLC

5 Year Member
If your temps are fine, I'd add some plants (fake or real) to block your tort's line of sight and give him/her a better sense of being in a secure environment

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi! I have looked at a bit of your prior threads, what a lovely little redfoot :D

So, the first thing that jumped out at me...or two or three :p

How deep is your substrate? I would have it at least 4 to 6 inches deep.
How long is the floor space of your enclosure? I would say at least a 55 gallon rubbermaid tub would work for awhile.
Do you have any plant cluster(s) in the enclosure? I would have at least one good cluster--you can get silk artificial plants at a dollar store...I would get a tall jar fill it with dirt/substrate and press it in tight then take each artificial plant stem and make a plant cluster then I would pour warm water in that jar of dirt and plants then I would sink that jar into the substrate so it sets in firmly and creates a hiding canopy but not able to be trampled...I would place this canopy in the cool end of your enclosure. I wonder if it he hide you have in there at present kinda takes up valuable walking/exploring space? I personally do not have hard structure hides in the enclosures here, except for the hatchlings ...but as they get larger I will transition them out of the hides...I just don't like the young ones to be able to sleep their entire day away...I want them a place to retreat under to hide but I also want them to be able to see entire area so they get more curious and want to wander around...which they do here .....

I like the red or black heat lamps for day as well as night (but because of where I live I get them out nearly every day into the natural sun and let them stay out for hours (less of course for the hatchlings)...I would use a long tube uvb if I had less time outdoors and would also have a white day basking light for daytime and run the night bulbs more at night....but if your tort gets out three or four times per week for half an hour then you should be fine with the red heat lamp along with a low grade uvb long tube....

I keep about three quarters of the enclosures moist by pouring warm water onto the substrate every few days or so under the heat source and then have a dry cooler area on the end with a plant canopy....the redfoot here move in and out of the various areas throughout their time inside....I believe a dry cool spot is important in allowing your tort a way to dry out their shell and airways...a shell should not be forced to remain wet and drippy on a constant basis with no other option....but do not keep a wet cool area as this combination can prove bad...

The redfoot here get dark leafy greens every day..and once a day per week I add hard boiled eggs and on another day I will add a fruit to the top...however, when they are outside sun they graze on the goodies there....I believe your feeding schedule is good while indoors....remember variety is key.

And lastly, there is a forum member here, Terryo, who has absolutely fantasy land type indoor enclosures that you should look up....not to mention her turtle/tortoise outdoor gardens...she live in new York area....I am on my phone so I can not attach a link to her pics of enclosures (I mean I am not skilled at doing that with my phone..lol)...really do look up her pics they are absolutely dreamy for the torts and humans....

Status
Not open for further replies.