The debatable section

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
nice try..but not what I would consider clever. You should have been patient and waited, a better opportuity would have presented itself in the future I'm sure. Timing... Timing
Now Deans underarock comment was funny and clever. Not to mention great Timing. Hang in there you'll get it.

Torty Mom said:
onarock said:
Dean, you should be thankful that my grammer is poor and I'm not elequant with the pen. Imagine how bad you would look if I was. "next time let squamata answer for himself". LOL... I get it!

I would dive into this, but I'm afraid the water isn't quite deep enough....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Folks, please do not make fun of anybody's spelling or grammar.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Jacqui, It's fine... It's all they have. They cant form an opinion or a debate, so they go to the one thing they can get me with, grammar. It's quite telling really

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
onarock said:
nice try..but not what I would consider clever. You should have been patient and waited, a better opportuity would have presented itself in the future I'm sure. Timing... Timing
Now Deans underarock comment was funny and clever. Not to mention great Timing. Hang in there you'll get it.

Torty Mom said:
onarock said:
Dean, you should be thankful that my grammer is poor and I'm not elequant with the pen. Imagine how bad you would look if I was. "next time let squamata answer for himself". LOL... I get it!

I would dive into this, but I'm afraid the water isn't quite deep enough....

yah, but Dean eventually caught a butt-chewing for that one...so we must show some restraint....what makes me mad is, I always think of that snide come back about 3 or 4 comments too late for it to be funny anymore...oh well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they DO decide to make a "no holds barred" section, I want it in writing that I am absolved and excused from moderating or having to read it. These fights are too, too time consuming.

But, I see a lessening of having to moderate if they do, because any trouble in a regular thread and I can just click on my moderator powers and "move" the offending post to the "no holds barred" section and be free of it! Yeah...I like that!!! :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Moderator powers activate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
oo, oo, oo...I had a glimpse of my spider string zinging out from my wrist. Dang that stuff's messy.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I guess your trying to say that this comment in deeper than my comment to Dean

"aneey onne seene any gud moveies lateily.+? "

Its not clever and probably the most shallow comment in the history of TFO. And... its not on topic to boot. But, I've been reading your posts in the archives and that comment is right on par with all your other stuff :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torty Mom said:
Not making fun of anyone, just using a previously made comment in a more appropriate spot.......:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TylerStewart said:
I'm not even sure what threads is/are being referred to, but can I get a clarification on something?

When someone says "that was a stupid comment" or "you're making a dumb argument," are those phrases, in the moderator's minds, personal attacks? Name calling? It seems like people think I've personally attacked people here (which I never have). I've probably said "that was a stupid argument to make" and I was probably correct, but I would never call someone stupid themselves; it doesn't serve a purpose to do that. I think we need to re-define "name calling" or at least clarify what is referred to as a personal attack, both by the dictionary and by the forum, since I think they differ from each other.

I think you (not 'you' you, but the collective 'you') can make your point without making it sound like your competitor is being stupid or dumb. But no, you're right, the comment is stupid and the argument is dumb, not the person that made it or said it. But when you use those phrases in your rebuttal it just serves to inflame. If you could say instead, "That argument doesn't hold water because blah de blah blah blah." You can't just tell them their comment is stupid without explaining why you feel it is.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't hold water, but that is a story for another time.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
emysemys said:
TylerStewart said:
I'm not even sure what threads is/are being referred to, but can I get a clarification on something?

When someone says "that was a stupid comment" or "you're making a dumb argument," are those phrases, in the moderator's minds, personal attacks? Name calling? It seems like people think I've personally attacked people here (which I never have). I've probably said "that was a stupid argument to make" and I was probably correct, but I would never call someone stupid themselves; it doesn't serve a purpose to do that. I think we need to re-define "name calling" or at least clarify what is referred to as a personal attack, both by the dictionary and by the forum, since I think they differ from each other.

I think you (not 'you' you, but the collective 'you') can make your point without making it sound like your competitor is being stupid or dumb. But no, you're right, the comment is stupid and the argument is dumb, not the person that made it or said it. But when you use those phrases in your rebuttal it just serves to inflame. If you could say instead, "That argument doesn't hold water because blah de blah blah blah." You can't just tell them their comment is stupid without explaining why you feel it is.

The problem comes when you actually think that the person making the comment that you are responding to is actually an idiot, a baffoon, a dolt, a clueless schmoe....what a conundrum, because there really is NO diplomacy that can effect a solution to that problem. I'm not saying that I've run into anyone matching all or most of those descriptions, but what if? Is it OK then? just tryig to lighten up the conversation, because I'm sure those on both sides are thinking the same thing about the other....Hope everyone has a great weekend, think I will take a couple days off and enjoy my critters and the weather.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
stells said:
Could i just ask... the point of this section...

Seems you can't actually debate here... if someone name calls... instead of deleting or editing the one post... the whole thread either gets moved to a place where it can't be viewed... or closed... i thought moderaters were meant to moderate... which actually does include editing... not just getting rid of the whole lot...
I see your point!

Jacqui said:
I think you are currently trying to prove that point. I am going to end this now, because I don't want to get into a debate here. I have stated once more in this thread why we felt the need to keep for awhile a debate thread off the regular forum areas. I am sorry you feel the Mods here are doing such a poor job. You have the right to your opinion.
It does seem that MODS are way more involved on this forum than most!

Status
Not open for further replies.