Testudo Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
So this will be my first year dealing with Testudos (Greeks and Russians) in the winter. I know there have been debates whether or not to hibernate them, still not sure where I stand. The idea scares me a little just because I haven't had to deal with it. Are there any pros/cons for Russians and/or Greeks individually? Otherwords, are they the same when it comes to hibernation or should I be giving special care or attention to a certain species? Any information on why you do or do not hibernate them would also be appreciated. Thanks forum!

PS not looking to debate, just looking for info. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My personal opinion is to keep them up during their first three winters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a difficult subject and I'm really not sure of what to do about it either. I've been researching and trying to learn about it for over a year now. Our climates our very similar in winter although you get warmer in summer and earlier in the season too. You guys are hitting 100 while we are still in the 80's for a month or two in spring. Anyhow, many people near me just leave their russians outside all year with no heat. Just a shelter. It really does not get cold enough for long enough for them to hibernate, even though the nights get near freezing in winter. Our days still get warm and sometimes they come up and get active in the winter warm spells. This does not seem to be an issue for them. I've had lizards (argentine tegus) die this way, but the Testudo sp. seem to do just fine.

My intention is to build underground boxes to help even out the temperature extremes, and see how they do.

PM dmmj. He lives near me, so similar climate to ours, and his russians live outside year round. I know dozens of people with greeks, russians and hermanni living outside with no heat here in SoCal and none of them seem to have any issues. I would guess it would be the same for you. What does Eweezy... do?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Hmm never thought that it might be warm enough for them to not even hibernate. Great info. I'll have to text Eweezy and see what happens with his. Thank you!! I like the idea of the underground box. Are you planning on adding heat lamps or no?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arizona Sulcata said:
Hmm never thought that it might be warm enough for them to not even hibernate. Great info. I'll have to text Eweezy and see what happens with his. Thank you!! I like the idea of the underground box. Are you planning on adding heat lamps or no?

No heat for me. Even one foot deep, the ground stays around 50 all winter long. Even when night temps are in the 20's and day temps are in the 80's, it just stays 50 underground all the time. In summer, it warms to 80 and just stays 80 all the time, even when its 110+ in the shade above ground and 50 at night. Seems so odd, but it is really consistent. There is a lady in Palmdale/Lancaster (about 45 minutes North of me) who keep Hermanns. The temps up there are hotter in the summer, colder in the winter and generally pretty miserable all the time. She just keeps around two dozen of them loose in her backyard all the time and she now has three generations of them. Been doing it for around 20 years if memory serves. No special housing or heat or anything.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hibernation is extremely easy in AZ. Do you have a backyard patio? If so that's where I keep my older testudo during the winter in tubs or even cardboard boxes with hay filling it halfway up. Just make sure they cant get wet and the sun isnt hitting whatever they're in because that will warm them up quite a bit. Also make sure to make it mice proof, one of my tortoises got his neck bit by one and he almost died because of it. You can keep them in your garage as well but I know some people here in AZ have quite warm garages for whatever reason so that may not work for you either. IMO you dont have to hibernate your tortoises, I know plenty of people that have success both ways (it may effect long term breeding success by not hibernating but I dont know). If you're aren't comfortable with it dont do it and keep them nice and toasty this Winter and plan to start doing it next year if you eventually want to do it.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Hibernation is extremely easy in AZ. Do you have a backyard patio? If so that's where I keep my older testudo during the winter in tubs or even cardboard boxes with hay filling it halfway up. Just make sure they cant get wet and the sun isnt hitting whatever they're in because that will warm them up quite a bit. Also make sure to make it mice proof, one of my tortoises got his neck bit by one and he almost died because of it. You can keep them in your garage as well but I know some people here in AZ have quite warm garages for whatever reason so that may not work for you either. IMO you dont have to hibernate your tortoises, I know plenty of people that have success both ways (it may effect long term breeding success by not hibernating but I dont know). If you're aren't comfortable with it dont do it and keep them nice and toasty this Winter and plan to start doing it next year if you eventually want to do it.

Thanks Elliott!! I do have a patio that's would work for that. Still weighing my options...

Status
Not open for further replies.