Terryo Magic Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
OK, I've got two kinds of seeds from carolinapetsupply: broadleaf and chia. I put some moist potting soil into two small square tupperware, sprinkled both kinds of seeds on and then "stirred" them gently into the soil. Then I sprayed a mist onto the top and set them on my plant shelf next to the only window in my house that gets decent light. I am planning to mist them every day till they sprout. :p

Now, TerryO, please mentally telepathize some of your Green Thumbness my way! :cool:

And, what else do I need to do or change? ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Green thumbsssss....green thumbsssss.....I'm doing it. LOL You might want to put a few tooth picks or half of a chop stick in there and then cover the whole thing with plastic wrap, making a little green house effect, so they don't get a draft. Do you have drainage holes in your Tupperware?
To start seeds I use the plastic containers that you get the Spring Mix in ...the one's that have the cover attached. They are clear, so the light gets to the seeds. I poke some holes in the top and bottom, for drainage and air, put soil and then seeds, then close the top. If you don't have enough light when you start your seeds, they will come up stringy...if that happens you can just stick the long stalk in the dirt with the eraser top of a pencil.
And I have seen pictures of your beautiful gardens.......talk about a green thumb!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Do those seed trays that come with the plugs really work for starting seeds?

They just added a huge bunch of 12 x 12 trays at the PX and that will free up some real estate in the tort table. I plan to get some seeds from Carolina supply as well.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I put on of my tortoise heat lamps over them and in 48 hours i have sprouts.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Thanks. I will head to the grocery store tomorrow for some of those products in clear plastic containers and start a "control" set for comparison. :cool:

I do well with outdoor plants, but not indoor...I blame it on the lack of light but I would love to change my luck however I can...so keep that "healthy growth" energy coming! :p

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I cant get outside stuff to grow, except these seeds of dichondra and clover...

Good idea, try a small 99 cent store pot and put in seed with 24 hours of a heat light and then regular window light.....

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I will try the thing with the spring mix container too :D
Thanks for the thread Stephanie and thanks for the advices Terry :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I toss those Spring Mix "clam shells" every day! Who'da'thunk to use them as a mini green house? Thanks for the tip, Terry.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Don't forget to put some drainage holes in the bottom. I use a little paring knife. I just stick the tip in and twist it a little......small holes....about 6. Keep the top on and when the plants start to grow some, I cut off the top, and put it on the bottom to catch any water.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Clear plastic produce containers...check! :cool:

I am starting my new batch and am going to try Terra's advice with the seeds under Taco's lamp for some of each day (when she's not actively using it). :p

Hope to have good news to report soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.