Temperature for Aquarium

mccc88

Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hi,
I have 2 African Leopard Tortoises which I got in October 2014. They were born on
August 20, 2014. Currently they live in a 20 gallon glass tank. I was wondering what temperature I should keep the tank at. We have 2 thermometers to monitor the temp. They are on each side of the aquarium. One side is usually at 73 and the other side is at 83. My question is, what temperature is ideal for both sides of the tank.
Do these tortoises hibernate? Some resources say that they don't.
Thanks,
Molly

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
there basking spot should be around 90+ and the cold side of the tank should be around 75. pairs never work well together, one will always become dominant and harass the smaller one, this can cause some serious stress for a tortoise. there cages should be around 40+ gallons for each tortoise right now. this species doesn't hibernate. can you post some pics of the tortoises and there enclosure? what lights are you using? read this care sheet. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Molly.

Please read the care sheet pinned at the top of our Leopard Tortoise section. You can also go to the Sulcata section and read the pinned threads there. Same care.