Temperature regulation and measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I have two young Russian tortoises and when I bought them I was told I don't really need to do strict temperature regulation with this species.

That said, I'd like to hear others' opinions and experience with this issue. I'd appreciate some guidance on how important it is to monitor temperature and where to place thermometers in relation to the light source. I have a 100watt UVB heat lamp on one side of a 30"x12" glass tank with a basking rock directly underneath and the light stays on for 12 hours a day.

Thanks!

Patrick

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Temperatures are very important with Russians or else they will not eat and live happily! They need a range from 70 to 95 F, where 95 F is right under the basking light. Is the 100 Watt a Mercury Vapor Bulb? Basically you place that bulb in the middle or to one side of the enclosure and raise or lower it as needed to get an appropriate temperature gradient. Use an accurate thermometer like a temp gun ($25 for the PE1) to test the hottest temp, lowest temp, and in between to see that you have a good range. I would not recommend a glass tank as they tend to stay one temp, not allow good air flow, stress out the animals, etc. I would use a plastic tub or a wood tort table. Did you get these from a breeder (are they under 4 inches in length) or from a pet store? Some pet stores lie and say there are yearlings or whatever so even though you say young, I want to confirm. You will need to keep hatchlings a tad warmer and provide more hides than adults. If they are adults, make sure the night temps stay above 60 F, and if hatchlings, above 65/70 F. I would not use a rock under the basking spot because these get very hot and torts aren't used to feeling the belly heat and can burn themselves. Lots of people recommend them, but its not a risk I want to take as really it adds no benefit. Your enclosure size would be too small even if both torts are only 2 inches long, so if you can change it soon, I'd also go bigger (but plan to increase the size as they grow, so you can build huge now and block off part of it if you want to invest in the building materials to make a table).

If its too hot they can get overheated and even die, and if its too cold they won't eat or move around. They aren't highly temperature sensitive, but it would be very ignorant to just place the bulb in there and have no idea what the temps were, as those MVBs could easily make it 120 F+ in there, or it could only be 70 F! A good start would be to use any reasonably accurate thermometer you can get your hands on (a probe thermometer can take 20 minutes to get a reading so its annoying) and order a good temp gun online. See if you can place the bulb so that its between 70 and 95 everywhere in the enclosure. If the enclosure is too small such that even the edges are above 70/75, then overhang the bulb outside the enclosure a bit. If its a MVB, the useful range is between 12 and 18 inches from the substrate. Never place is closer than that, and if its further, you aren't getting much of any UVB. Always have the torts out of the enclosure when you are adjusting the light as to not stress or overheat them. I have a "travel" tub that I take mine to the vet in and put him in when I'm cleaning so he has a safe place that he at least recognizes a bit as home. Measure temps at the substrate level. Good luck!

firework

5 Year Member
One important thing is, don't adjust temperature while your young torts are asleep. Sometimes they are not able to wake up by themselves and move to the right spot.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
tortoisenerd said:
Temperatures are very important with Russians or else they will not eat and live happily! They need a range from 70 to 95 F, where 95 F is right under the basking light. Is the 100 Watt a Mercury Vapor Bulb? Basically you place that bulb in the middle or to one side of the enclosure and raise or lower it as needed to get an appropriate temperature gradient. Use an accurate thermometer like a temp gun ($25 for the PE1) to test the hottest temp, lowest temp, and in between to see that you have a good range. I would not recommend a glass tank as they tend to stay one temp, not allow good air flow, stress out the animals, etc. I would use a plastic tub or a wood tort table. Did you get these from a breeder (are they under 4 inches in length) or from a pet store? Some pet stores lie and say there are yearlings or whatever so even though you say young, I want to confirm. You will need to keep hatchlings a tad warmer and provide more hides than adults. If they are adults, make sure the night temps stay above 60 F, and if hatchlings, above 65/70 F. I would not use a rock under the basking spot because these get very hot and torts aren't used to feeling the belly heat and can burn themselves. Lots of people recommend them, but its not a risk I want to take as really it adds no benefit. Your enclosure size would be too small even if both torts are only 2 inches long, so if you can change it soon, I'd also go bigger (but plan to increase the size as they grow, so you can build huge now and block off part of it if you want to invest in the building materials to make a table).

If its too hot they can get overheated and even die, and if its too cold they won't eat or move around. They aren't highly temperature sensitive, but it would be very ignorant to just place the bulb in there and have no idea what the temps were, as those MVBs could easily make it 120 F+ in there, or it could only be 70 F! A good start would be to use any reasonably accurate thermometer you can get your hands on (a probe thermometer can take 20 minutes to get a reading so its annoying) and order a good temp gun online. See if you can place the bulb so that its between 70 and 95 everywhere in the enclosure. If the enclosure is too small such that even the edges are above 70/75, then overhang the bulb outside the enclosure a bit. If its a MVB, the useful range is between 12 and 18 inches from the substrate. Never place is closer than that, and if its further, you aren't getting much of any UVB. Always have the torts out of the enclosure when you are adjusting the light as to not stress or overheat them. I have a "travel" tub that I take mine to the vet in and put him in when I'm cleaning so he has a safe place that he at least recognizes a bit as home. Measure temps at the substrate level. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! In answer to your questions, it is a mercury vapor bulb and the tortoises are under 4 inches long. I got them at a pet shop that also breeds several species. They seem very reputable. I should clarify that they said temperature is important for Russians but where I live in San Diego, the natural temp range fits their needs. As far as the enclosure goes, I do plan to increase the size as the tortoises grow. They currently have one hide (half hollow log) with plenty of room for both but they seem to prefer to lie on top of each other. I will find a way to measure temperature throughout to be sure it is falling within the recommended range. The light is at least 12 inches above the substrate and the rock doesn't seem to get that hot but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again!

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.