Tempature questions:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
i have two leopard tortoise, and a sulcata, and live in southern cali. The average temperature in the warmest months is 72 degrees, and average warmest month lows are 57 degrees. I was wondering are these temperatures to low for a leopard and sulcata when they go outdoor when they are bigger? I know you can build heated sheds and such but over all do you think it would be hard to keep them in climates like this? We do get days that are warm 80s sometimes 90s but not very often. Whats your thought(s)?

M

Maggie Cummings

I would kill for temps like that...it was 50 and raining here and I keep several desert type species...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
of course they would perfer warmer. but just make sure they dont get chilled on cool days or nights. outside is best for natural sunshine.. but provide a heated house as well.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah, i have an outdoor enclosure built and ready for them. Its been high of 62ish lately low high 40s 50s. I have them inside though till it warms up during the day. Suppose to get to high 60s low 70s mid week so we will see. I just dont want it to be to cold for them, but if they bask first i think they will be fine. just need reinsurance and 2nd opinions, lol

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can monitor their activity level to help determine if they are too cold--if they are staying in one spot, appetite drops, etc, that could indicate they are cold. If they are warm enough, they should be moving around, being active, and eating well.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah, but my leopard tortoises are always moving around, lol.. i think even if its a cooler day, 60s the sun is still pretty warm if they bask. I been going out to the enclosure (torts arnt in there yet, still inside till i get an idea of temps) and taking in readings and seeing how hot it is at certain parts of the day ect.. real scientific stuff, lol.. Jk but today was a high of 63 but the ground and in the enclosure was about 75-80s, some of the rock hides were 85-90s, and the mini green house thing i built is 95-100... The green house can get really hot though, 110+ on hot days, but thats with the vent closed, if i open the vents then its stay pretty nice in there.

PS: i have 2 thermometers out there and i use my temp. gun for all the hides, and ground ect.. one themo. is in the green house, one outside.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I found yesterday with out door temps in the 80's, my green house temps were about 110 as well. The torts seemed to prefer the 110's inside most of the day. They have proven they know how to go to the different areas of the enclosure, so I guess I have to trust they like it that warm! I does scare me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.