Tell me all about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyAF

5 Year Member
Hey guys and gals!!
I am here with you wonderful people because of my mother. I am doing the foot work and research on caring for Torts for my mother who wants one. Please bare with me as I know nothing really about the care of a Tort other than what I have recently read about here, and online. Like I said I am researching for my mother and I think she would be happy with a Russian. She lives in Kentucky so during the summer I'm sure (s)he will be just dandy outside, but during the winter it will be brought indoors, probably in a kiddie pool type of enclosure.

I want to know everything you know. :tort:
Diet- I posted in that board too but I know you will be specific to Russians here.
Habitat- What is best for a happy little Russian. More sun/shade? What keeps your little ones happy, mobile? Do yours live in/outdoors seasonally? Humidity? Substrate?
Temps/lights- Where did you get yours? How long do the bulbs last? How many watts? Should they be used outdoors as well? Where to get a good lamp base?
Foliage- I will be suggesting live plants in the enclosure, what is best? What should be stayed away from? Anything toxic/deadly?

Anything else that you think a newb should know?
My mother is willing to have an outdoor habitat, as well as an indoor during cold weather.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
the good news is that a russian who is healthy can hibernate ( if you choose) during the cold months. I love russians myself, they are great, with awesome personalities, and they are some of the most fearless tortoises around for their size. Mine never hide always come up to me looking for food, and follow you around inside their pen. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't know how mobile (walking wise) your mom is, but if she is mobile and can get outside she will more than likely enjoy simply watching the torts like I do. As for ground cover and such, I personally like agapanthas ( I am sure I misspelled it) but you can use just about anything that is not toxic and we also have a toxic list around here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Okay, this is the story of my life with Russians. :D :D First off, i will be honest, when I first saw Russians years back (my memory is bad, nothing is written down, but guessing by ages of my children we are talking almost 20 years ago), I thought they were plain and well sorta ugly little chubby things.

It took years later, before at a chance visit to a Petco, I saw this very elderly male Russian. He looked so old and dignified, that I could not leave his last years to fate. I wanted dignity and honor for one so old. Thru the years I slowly added a couple of more from the pet stores.

I was working with a very difficult trio of hingebacks that were extremely poor eaters. I came to appreciate my Russians for being pigs that would eat everything and anything.

I still don't think they are beautiful, tho my friend raises the most gorgeous golden blonde ones. They can be friendly, but are not among my friendliest species. Then again, I don't normally make "pets" out of mine (it's ok if others do, just isn't my style).

028-3.jpg

During the summer mine live outside. Actually after years of growing, some of the tall grasses have taken over and I need to thin it down. I told the plant story in another thread of yours, where I consider them a swarm of locust. :D I do have growing in their enclosure besides a couple of tall grasses, an Althea (Rose of Sharon) bush, a butterfly bush, a grape vine, and daylilies. Most of the plants if my Russians can reach them, they are eaten. So I bring the plant sacrifices to them rather then attempting to grow most plants in their enclosure. Having them in pots to tall for the Russians to reach or having them outside the enclosure and hanging over all work better in my mind.

My enclosure is old, so it is made of wire sides buried into the ground about 6". That's so they won't dig out, but mine never try. They do dig within their enclosure. The side also has an inward bent lip of a few inches, to keep them from being able to climb out...which Russians are great climbers. They have simple water and feed dish plus hides and a few walkway pavers for helping to bask in the mornings.

I don't have any real good pictures, but this gives a rough look at my Russian area (and yes, I do need to do some thinning out of plants):
020.jpg

019.jpg

I covered the diet in another thread you did in the food section.

I don't hibernate mine. Some do. It's one of those options, but usually we say not to hibernate the first year, so that buys you some time to research and think that subject over.

Inside I use big black rubber sheep water tubs filled with cypress mulch, a little sand, and coir bricks (Bed-A-beast). Like outside they have hides, water dish, and feeding dish. I use to need CHEs (ceramic heat emitters) for keeping them warm. but now I go just by room temp. Because mine are outside all summer and adults, I don't have a full time (12 hrs a day) UV light on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.