Tegan's Growth Thread

sarahandtegan

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I figured I'd start a thread just for Tegan's growth and her updates! Also, I was wondering if anyone had a guess as to when she was actually hatched, just for the purposes of having a birthday date to celebrate! I received her on April 13th, 2016, and she was a tiny hatchling, with some belly button still there: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470681262.691054.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470681297.588389.jpg
Any breeders know how long it takes to look like this, and for the sac to be absorbed? She was overnight shipped from Florida, and had a serious hunger from the very beginning!

sarahandtegan

North Carolina
Here is her growth chart so far!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470681718.391695.jpg
The early weights and measurements are estimations, I wish I would have started to record earlier! Does her progress seem normal? I know there's A LOT of variation tort to tort, but just wondering :) also I have heard the growth rate can predict if male or female, are her rates of growth a sign of anything so far? Thanks for any opinions!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely, lovely Tegan! :)
i don't know the answers to your questions, but just wanted to say how beautiful your little one is.
Except that many members only weigh once a week, to avoid stress (to themselves, not the tortoise).
And that slow steady growth is good. :)

sarahandtegan

North Carolina
Lovely, lovely Tegan! :)
i don't know the answers to your questions, but just wanted to say how beautiful your little one is.
Except that many members only weigh once a week, to avoid stress (to themselves, not the tortoise).
And that slow steady growth is good. :)

Yep, I'll probably weigh her much less as she grows bigger, but for now it's so easy and she seems happy enough to be handled between soaks and play time outside! :)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Tegan is a good looking guy , as you know its so hard to ascertain age unless you know the hatch date . I went to weighing Speedy once a month when he was about a year old , its so much nicer to say "Wow that little Porker gained a half pound"
m1801.gif
then to say "O my gosh he lost 5 grams this week" !
m1808.gif

sarahandtegan

North Carolina
I went to weighing Speedy once a month when he was about a year old , its so much nicer to say "Wow that little Porker gained a half pound"
m1801.gif
then to say "O my gosh he lost 5 grams this week" !
m1808.gif

Yep that indeed makes sense! So do you have any experience with sexing tortoises by their growth rate? I was curious if anyone has theories!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
No I sure don't Sarah . Their growth rates are so different , and dependent on so many variables that its really hard to say .

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Oh i love the name. And love the chart, me too have the obsession for too much weighing, and speedy's dad always make fun of it hahaha.. now i am trying myself post weigh only once a week. T R Y I N G.. although i still weigh him everyday, because he do not mind it at all. And the scale just besides his enclosure.. how can i pass the scale and go through the enclosure when my mind very curious "what is his weigh right now" when i was holding him lol.