Tanks latest burrow...

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Sorry Tank's Mom for taking over your thread. It's just that these burrows as so interesting!:)

Lol. No problem. I'm loving the burrow stories too! I'm trying to learn what he's getting himself into, so it all helps!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How odd. That's exactly what he just did today! He's turned to the right! Why is that? And how long do these burrows typically end up being? Any chance he'll circle back into my yard by going a little more to the right??

Mine went down 22' and have had no desire to go any further.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Mine went down 22' and have had no desire to go any further.
Any suggestions on how to measure the tunnel that doesn't involve sending my 3 year old son in there?
And what's up with the turning right?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The turning probably indicates one leg is stronger than the other causing him to curve during digging. The curve also gives him more privacy as no direct line of sight from the entrance.

When hiking, most hikers will stray into a circular pattern if they do not take a compass bearing or a series of straight line sightings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will, almost all sulcatas turn to the right in their burrows. At least all the ones I've seen here in North America. I've always wondered if they turn to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. I don't think it has anything to do with one leg being weaker than the other since the first part of the burrow is always perfectly straight.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Wow!!!! @Tom you should have told me about this one! That's exactly what Tank is doing so far. I really like that she went in a spiral. Is that common? If he keeps that up I won't have to stop him. But I can imagine he could get pretty far in there pretty soon at the speed he's going.
I can't believe you went down there!!! Weren't you at least a little claustrophobic? I think I'd have to do the rope thing. So you actually turned around and came out head first? You are crazy cool!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That one is the only spiral I have seen. The only thing I was worried about was RV coming into the burrow with me. I would have been helpless. They are so strong underground with all the leverage working in their favor. If a tortoise came charging down at the "intruder" in their burrow and wedged herself between the wall and my chest, I could literally have suffocated and there is nothing anyone could do about it. They are THAT strong in their burrows.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
hahah that's hilarious (if a bit messy ;)). Levi keeps trying to dig a burrow but he's not quite big enough to manage one like this

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Ok so here's the latest. Got home from work before dark. Starting a new job where I have to wear a different color scrubs, so I got down on my belly and went in as far as I could, about 5' because because my shoes were out and I'm 5'6".
He was already coming up because he heard me and he comes right out when he hears me because he knows that means I got goodies!
So I didn't get to see the end....
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405991640.700407.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG!!! I can't decide if you're BRAVE or if you're CRAZY (...or a little bit of BOTH!!) :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would have to lock tank up . Then call a buddy for back up . Then crawl down in the hole to check it out .

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
It's been about a week that he's been working on this thing and so far has not come out. At all.. That I have seen. I go over there and he immediately comes up to say hi, but he only comes out as far as half his body. So getting him "out" is gonna take some time, I think he REALLY likes his new toy. But once he does, I wanna go down, as much as I can, I was feeling pretty claustrophobic in there! Gonna lock his big butt up first because like @Tom pointed out, it would be dangerous to be on the receiving end of that tunnel!
I used the flashlight on my iPhone. He was coming at me quick. I only had time to get the one pic before he was in my face. He did give me time time to get out without ramming me, but he was definitely the faster one in that situation!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Is want my future sulcata to build a burrow, just one burrow though :D