Tank size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If you are not getting a reply....you may send and inquiry to TerryO...although she facilitates hibernation in her turtles she likely will have valuable information to share with you on this question...;)

thelub

5 Year Member
You shouldn't keep a box turtle in a tank. They get stressed out when they can see out but can't get out. A good start is something like my enclosure that is fairly inexpensive to assemble and will house 3 juvies for a while, but you'll need to get something bigger. This enclosure is getting to be a little small for my adult 3 toe.

2013-01-21%2022.04.32.jpg

its just a 50 gallon rubbermade tote with some sphagnum moss in the bottom. I found a bag of moss sheets at HD that were nice, but beaker ended up tearing it all up hunting for crickets. A couple more small potted plants from HD rounded out the scape.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
thelub said:
You shouldn't keep a box turtle in a tank. They get stressed out when they can see out but can't get out.

What is this stressed out behavior to which you refer?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Box turtles do stress over see through glass, they will always be clawing at the sides or hidden cuz they stress about being safe. Box tuetle should be outside if all possible, I've have had box turtles in big tables and they stressed.

Stress behaviors can be anywhere from loss of apatite, hiding and sleeping a lot, retracted in the shell a lot. Trying to escape all the time.

Toetoises stress too I found however Toetoises do better in "tanks" box turtles on the other hand just don't so good in tanks,

I so start babies in tanks first few months only get them started/ also size maters I would say nothing smaller then a 40 gallon breeder for babies 6 months younger. Bigger is better. Tables are cheaper!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have heard that tortoises (not just box turtles) are stressed from the see through walls of glass tanks. I have not found this to be true. My leopard is housed in a 40gal when indoors and in 10 months has never had an issue with the glass.

However, on the occasional rainy day that I bring in my adult russian, he will claw at and try to get out of a glass tank, plastic tub or cement mixing tub. This makes me unconvinced he is stressed out over/wants to walk through the glass since he does it with any perimeter (including the walls of his 20'x6' outdoor pen).

I'd suggest the 40gal size for 3 baby boxies as a starting size.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I ask about the stress part in that most often people apply pre-escape activities as stress. I have yet to find an enclosure that a healthy tortoise/turtle won't try to climb out of. Constant hiding/sleeping would be a sign of a medical issue. Even in large out door habitats, with solid walls, my russians try to climb out.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
I have a 40 gallon tank for them and they are in an outside tank. I would love an alternative but it's so dangerous outside where I live for them to be on anything different. They do hide often but it's normal in babies and they get up and walk around as they please. :) thanks for the feedback.

This is their tank. Any suggestions are wonerful

Attachments

• image-2979660127.png
    image-2979660127.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • image-315199062.png
    image-315199062.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
IMHO....I only keep hatchlings and young BT's that aren't old enought to go outside, inside. I only use glass tanks. For the hatchlings (I have two now inside) I use a 40 gal. breeder tank. But for hatchlings a 20 gal is fine. For three juvenile's that have to stay inside, I would only suggest, if you're using a tank, a 125 gal. Or you can get a book case and turn it over and take out the shelves to make a table for them. I would not suggest anything smaller, especiall for three. I only use glass tanks, because I put a lot of plants, which keeps up the humidity. I also don't use a lot of heat, or lights. A long tube 5.0 UVB is what I use for my vivariums. I don't use any kind of tubs, but I do use a long Christmas tree storage bin for some babies and young ones that only go out for the day in the Summer. If you're worried about them being stressed, you can cover the sides to about 6 inches so they can't see out. I never cover mine for the hatchlings as I want them to interact with me. This is just what I do, and what works for me. Nothing is written in stone.
This is a 40 gal breeder for two hatchlings. I don't use hides, just some fake mixed with real plants bent over to form a cave where they dig into.
019_zps1745b644.jpg

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
terryo said:
IMHO....I only keep hatchlings and young BT's that aren't old enought to go outside, inside. I only use glass tanks. For the hatchlings (I have two now inside) I use a 40 gal. breeder tank. But for hatchlings a 20 gal is fine. For three juvenile's that have to stay inside, I would only suggest, if you're using a tank, a 125 gal. Or you can get a book case and turn it over and take out the shelves to make a table for them. I would not suggest anything smaller, especiall for three. I only use glass tanks, because I put a lot of plants, which keeps up the humidity. I also don't use a lot of heat, or lights. A long tube 5.0 UVB is what I use for my vivariums. I don't use any kind of tubs, but I do use a long Christmas tree storage bin for some babies and young ones that only go out for the day in the Summer. If you're worried about them being stressed, you can cover the sides to about 6 inches so they can't see out. I never cover mine for the hatchlings as I want them to interact with me. This is just what I do, and what works for me. Nothing is written in stone.
This is a 40 gal breeder for two hatchlings. I don't use hides, just some fake mixed with real plants bent over to form a cave where they dig into.

Terry-o thank you!! I'm having the feeling nothing is ever big enough lol

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I find more of my rescues to have problems adapting to "tank living" I have never had a cb tortoise having problems with tanks, I've had cb box turtles and adults have problems with tanks, and it seem like stress to me, they would stop eating and sleep a lot or stop eating and try to escape a lot. I've ha box turtles have problems with tables too. Mostly rescues that were probably wc at one point. I've made and had enclosure that were outdoors that I've never had problems with with box turtles they were big enclosure and all the essentials and I've produced many hatchlings from outdoor enclosure which is a good sign. But I'm not against tanks by no means my young mt Toetoises live on a 6x2 foot 160 gallon terrarium . Is it my first choice no, but I or the tank for 40 cheaper then a table. Tables to me are cheaper, an I think it's be when people say tanks are easier to humidity higher, if you built a table with the same done toons as a tank, it wouldn't look as good but you can keep the same temp and Humidity in it: but web people build tables cuz it's cheaper they usually go bigger and it then gets tough for micro climates. I found deeper substrate an plants help a lot to control humidity and heat. This is all from what I've experience in the last 12-13 years of keeping. Tanks to me are fine but pricey and you don't really ever get the dimensions you want cuz lets face it tanks arnt made for Toetoises. Tey work tho

Cowboy_Ken said:
I ask about the stress part in that most often people apply pre-escape activities as stress. I have yet to find an enclosure that a healthy tortoise/turtle won't try to climb out of. Constant hiding/sleeping would be a sign of a medical issue. Even in large out door habitats, with solid walls, my russians try to climb out.

Medical issues, stress is a medical issue an if you stress any animal out enough it could end up ill or dead. Tanks can just e part of the problem, from experience I've moved box turtles from tanks to tables and they started eating and acting healthier,

If your box turtle isn't thriving outdoors then yes it's medical, cuz every box turtle I put outdoors have been fine unless they have gotten ri or something then I have them outdoors in a smaller more controlled area, this goes go cb and wc. Again this is just from the handful of box turtles I've had, probably 50+ now 32 at one time at one point

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
terryo said:
019_zps1745b644.jpg

That is a very beautiful tank

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. One of the reasons that I don't like to give advice is that, what works for one person doesn't work for another. The only reason that I have been using tanks for the last 30 years or more is that my Father always had box turtles, and the few that had to live inside for the Winter, for whatever reason....sick or too small to go outside....he always kept in tanks, that he made himself. All his box turtles lived outside in a large turtle garden as do mine. I've just had really good luck using glass tanks. I don't cover the sides because as I said I want to interact with them while they are small so they get used to me. I love this quote, it's from Tom at TurtleTails.com
"A specimen turtle is an animal in a cage on a shelf in a storage room somewhere. A pet turtle is a turtle you live with. A pet turtle you live with has a much more interesting and enjoyable environment. Watching you is part of their entertainment."
But, any kind of enclosure you make will do as long as you mimic the environment they come from. The only advice I will give you is that you make it large enough that there is plenty of places for them to explore, a large enough water source that they can sit in and soak, and enough places to hide and substrate that is deep enough to dig into and completely bury themselves. I also throw in worms and pill bugs for them to find on their own. Some flat slate or stone for them to eat on to help with nails and beak. Also come cuttle bone to nibble on.

I just realized your tank is outside. When the sun hits that tank the temperature will rise and it will become an oven. I can't stress enough the importance of not using a glass tank outside in the sun. I know a few people who have lost turtles and some who have lost lizards when outside in a glass tank. Some have come to me with their BT's and it was too late to help.

The tank you have outside is fine for now for the size of the BT's. Add some plants for humidity, and you can bring it inside. If you want them to get some sun, you can get a tub, add some plants for shade and hiding, and let them go outside for a few hours during the day. But I really don't advise the tank for outside in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.