Table for Russian Tortoise

Sandee91

Location (City and/or State)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Hi guys! This is my 1st ever post on the forum. I am picking up Toby in around 2 weeks, can you think of anything else I need to get? I also have cuttlefish and planted some cat grass to go into the enclosure. What do you think about the set up? I'm currently testing basking temperature and its around 32-33* Celsius which is perfect, right? :)

1458399876047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandee, and welcome to the Forum!

I see you have the tube-type UVB light, that's good. I would rather have the heat light in the middle of the habitat, and figure out some way to cover the whole thing to keep the heat inside.

Also, I like to use plant saucers rather than those steep-sided waterer and feeders that you have. A small tortoise trying to climb up that steep side may tip over backwards into the water and drown. You can set the plant saucer down into the substrate so there's no climbing to get in, and the sloped sides make climbing out easy.

You can add two or three plants, either real or fake, to give him something to walk around and hide under.

How big is your new tortoise?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Sandee, I love the name TOBY! Enclosure looks great. Agree with Yvonne, plants are awesome. You'll probably do some tweaking as you go but it's a great start! Welcome to TFO

Sandee91

Thanks Pearly! I've some cat grass and other tort friendly weeds planted in little pots so they will be added to the table once they actually start growing :) I cannot wait :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hi Sandee, I love the name TOBY! Enclosure looks great. Agree with Yvonne, plants are awesome. You'll probably do some tweaking as you go but it's a great start! Welcome to TFO
I agree! We're always tweaking our tortie enclosures to keep improving. :) I love the little house with his name on it -- so cute! I may have to "borrow" the idea for my table expansion. @Odin's Gma rotates out the eaten plants in her sulcata's enclosure for bigger ones. Maybe she can give you some tips on her technique, some worthy plants, and how often to rotate them. Here is a good website for tortoise diet info: http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
@Odin's Gma rotates out the eaten plants in her sulcata's enclosure for bigger ones. Maybe she can give you some tips on her technique, some worthy plants, and how often to rotate them.
Hopefully young Toby won't wreak nearly the havok that Odin the beast does on plants!
For Odin's first enclosure we used planting trays that we switched out weekly. There were four total so each one had a few weeks to be reseeded and grow before we unleashed him. Now I direct sow seeds into his enclosure and rotate larger plants in as he decimates them. I try and do it before he actually kills them, but a young sully can easily take down and destroy an 18 inch banana plant in a couple hours, so I am not always successful. :oops:
I have had great luck with aloe, spider plants, christmas cactus, bromeliads, opuntia and hibiscus. He munches all of them, but usually slowly enough that I can usually save them before they are beyond saving. I pop one out, pop another in, and he carries on. Banana plants will be ignored for weeks, and then one day they are sheared off at tort level and nothing can be done, so I built little fences around the stalks! So far they are holding strong, but it's only been a month or two, so it's too early to tell.
As far as direct sowing and the seeds we used for the trays the easiest and quickest are by far radish, mesclun mixes, carrots and clover. We also use about 20 different grasses, but for yours they would be more for looks than munching.

Oh, and any plants should have several months to a year to grow without pesticides and other nastiness before they are food, so yes, I have back-up plants all over my house just dreading the moment they meet The Mighty Odin's mightier beak! :eek:

Sandee91

I have now made some amendments as requested by you guys. I am currently growing some cat grass and other bits for him in small pots. Toby will be with us on Monday. I cannot wait!

Attachments

• 1458684878054.jpg
    1458684878054.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1458684896597.jpg
    1458684896597.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 40

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hopefully young Toby won't wreak nearly the havok that Odin the beast does on plants!
For Odin's first enclosure we used planting trays that we switched out weekly. There were four total so each one had a few weeks to be reseeded and grow before we unleashed him. Now I direct sow seeds into his enclosure and rotate larger plants in as he decimates them. I try and do it before he actually kills them, but a young sully can easily take down and destroy an 18 inch banana plant in a couple hours, so I am not always successful. :oops:
I have had great luck with aloe, spider plants, christmas cactus, bromeliads, opuntia and hibiscus. He munches all of them, but usually slowly enough that I can usually save them before they are beyond saving. I pop one out, pop another in, and he carries on. Banana plants will be ignored for weeks, and then one day they are sheared off at tort level and nothing can be done, so I built little fences around the stalks! So far they are holding strong, but it's only been a month or two, so it's too early to tell.
As far as direct sowing and the seeds we used for the trays the easiest and quickest are by far radish, mesclun mixes, carrots and clover. We also use about 20 different grasses, but for yours they would be more for looks than munching.

Oh, and any plants should have several months to a year to grow without pesticides and other nastiness before they are food, so yes, I have back-up plants all over my house just dreading the moment they meet The Mighty Odin's mightier beak! :eek:
I love the way you write! Do I see a tortoise horror story on the horizon? ;)
I have now made some amendments as requested by you guys. I am currently growing some cat grass and other bits for him in small pots. Toby will be with us on Monday. I cannot wait!
Cheers!! So exciting! :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I love the way you write! Do I see a tortoise horror story on the horizon? ;)
Hmmmm
Possible titles are:
"The tort who ate everything, every day, forever"
"Mass destruction;100,000 seeds, three uneaten plants"
"Attack of the 100 pound 'rock', a slow-motion tale of terror"

Sequels will include:
"Claws of Death-Drywall can't contain me"
"Collapse of a neighborhood-Escape of a burrowing Sully"
"Landmines! No grass, only massive turds, the story of a brown yard"

:eek:

Thadus

Just the basics on caring for a Russian Tort, like what supplies should I get what vegetables they eat, Just the basics like that

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Just the basics on caring for a Russian Tort, like what supplies should I get what vegetables they eat, Just the basics like that

I have a Sulcata. Their care is similar, but not exactly the same. I would recommend reading the care sheets for Russians.

Thadus

I have, I just want to get some real feedback and tips from people that have them

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I would highly recommend more broadleaf weeds than store-bought vegetables. Some good examples are plantain, dandelion, and clover. I have lots of garden "flowers" outside for my Russian as well, like hollyhock, violets, and hibiscus. These can be good indoor plants as well. :)