Susceptibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I saw a documentary that said basically, RI's were spread when unwanted sick tortoises were just released into the wild. They then infected other tortoises. The documentary made it seem that the ill tortoises caught the RI from humans. Is that right? If it is , what other human spread viruses/bacteria are torts susceptible too?

Is it that they can catch certain illnesses from us, or they already carry the bacteria and it flourishes due to receiving poor care?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't catch it from humans. They are specifically referring to something that happen here with the CA Desert Tortoises. I don't know where they picked it up in captivity. Likely from mixing with another species or just poor care. Many people took them from the desert and then put them in their backyards near the beach. The cold clammy weather all year long really messed them up. I rehabbed dozens that were like that.

I can't remember the name of the organism. Mycoplasma or something...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is just my opinion. I would imagine, if left in the wild, they do not get them, as their care in the wild would be better then what we can do. Therefore I do believe they probably don't get them. However, I don't think they catch it from us, but rather the inadequate care we give, no matter how good of care we give, it can't ever replicate the wild 100% or probably not even 50%. Just my thought on it:)

One more thing. I think the babies born in the wild are healthier then any CB. However, sick babies in the wild most likely die sooner then the CB sick babies, therefore some sick CB babies eventually get an RI

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom said:
They don't catch it from humans. They are specifically referring to something that happen here with the CA Desert Tortoises. I don't know where they picked it up in captivity. Likely from mixing with another species or just poor care. Many people took them from the desert and then put them in their backyards near the beach. The cold clammy weather all year long really messed them up. I rehabbed dozens that were like that.

I can't remember the name of the organism. Mycoplasma or something...

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Upper Respiratory Disease Syndrome (URDS) which is a bacterial organism, Pasteurella testudinis have signs that included a mucopurulent discharge from the nares, puffy eyelids, eyes recessed into the orbits, and dullness to the skin and scutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.