Surrendering Tortoise

NicoleLeo

This may not be the happiest post, but I unfortunately realized I am not the best at caring for a tortoise. I did all my research before getting one and I was super excited to have a companion.I bought him from a pet store where he was in a small glass tank with another tortoise. I want the best for my tortoise but I don't have the resources, space (I'm in an apartment), or the money to care for him the way he needs to be cared for and I want to him (it? I'm not sure the gender) so I want to surrender him properly to a place where they will give my tortoise the best life possible. Anyone know how I can go about this? I live in NJ if that can narrow it down

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
This forum is one of the best places, to find a home for your tortoise, Make a post in the adoptions section of the marketplace. Give details About your tortoise. And if you will ship it.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
What kind of tortoise is it? What part of the care are you worried about? What did you read that scared you?

I may catch some flack for this, but some posts may exaggerate what makes a tortoise "happy" or provides a good life. Sure, you can say a tortoise needs a ton of room. But compare to reality. Horses are often in pens, not roaming the open grasslands. Parrots aren't flying free in a jungle. Fish in a tank aren't enjoying a huge coral reef. But does that mean they are unhappy or not having a good life? I reject that type of association.

Are their limits? Yes. But I do think people get a bit carried away sometimes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, what Brian said. Give us a bit more info and maybe we can help you set him up better so both of you will be happy. Maybe post a picture?

NicoleLeo

Right now I have him in a temporary smaller enclosure because i recently moved. He is about 5-6 inches, i am unsure about the age and gender (I just assume hes a "he").. I had him in a 40 gal. Plastic tub, but I recently moved and needed to figure out a place to put him. No matter where he was, he always seems to want to escape, even when we let him roam the living room (supervised of course) while we were still getting situated in the new apartment and he always found a corner and tried to climb up it like he wanted to get out. Im just scared he doesn't have enough space and I know I need to upgrade the enclosure just don't have money to get everything I need for him. I have uv lamps and feed him a variety of greens like spinach, dandelion leaves, etc. I know I can care for him, just making sure he has a big enough enclosure is my main concern.. I attached some photos

Attachments

• 20160709_134439.jpg
    20160709_134439.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
  • 1468086884141-582232213.jpg
    1468086884141-582232213.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
You have a lovely little Russian tort. If you can include a picture of the underside (include the tail), someone will be able to sex it.

Several people have multi-level enclosures to give their torts more walking space. Take a look at the enclosures section for ideas.

NicoleLeo

Is there a way to keep him from flipping on his back? This happens a lot when he climbs up the corner and I'm scared one day he's going to get stuck there while I'm away from work all day

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Russians don't require huge amounts of space. The more you have him out for exercise as well, he will be fine. I'd get the biggest space you can. Kiddie pools will be on sale soon at the dollar type stores, cheap and effective. Round also "feels" bigger when set up right.

The do walk around and explore when left out. He isn't trying to get out, he is just being a tortoise. Russians like to climb.

Get creative, get his home as big as is doable and I think he will be fine. I don't think you are mistreating him. However, I would get him a nice water dish, big enough to get into and soak a bit.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! :tort: I admire you for admitting that you cannot take care of your cute tort.

Torts in general need A LOT of space: after all they are used to roaming around freely in the wild without red lights/boundaries. Therefore when kept in an enclosure, it should be as big as possible.;) I for one live in a flat, and have recently made a bigger enclosure for my Greek tort. At the same time I always take him out for walks, where he can roam around much more freely and more happily. :rolleyes:

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
If you really what to rehoming her, I have space and would love to have another female. That said, as others here have stated, just because they are small they still need plenty space. At least a 4 X 8. Good luck with your decision. Climbing up the sides is because she needs more space. They do not like small cramped areas.