Supracaudal scutes

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Are you seeing damage on the leg scales/skin?

If not, let it be and keep it under observation. Filing is an easy fix when needed, but I wouldn't fix something that isn't broken.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sharp marginals are a normal part of a tortoises armor. Their greatest point of vulnerability is the hind legs and tail. Sharp marginals are there for a reason! The front legs provide cover up front.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Ah I see, I was wondering, because some of them were sharp, so I was wondering what they would do in nature, but while you're here, I would like to ask another question, on her scutes on her carapace, she has two that seems smushed together, she has 6 scutes on the side, could she have been born with extra?20211208_181657_001.jpg20211208_181720_001.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ah I see, I was wondering, because some of them were sharp, so I was wondering what they would do in nature, but while you're here, I would like to ask another question, on her scutes on her carapace, she has two that seems smushed together, she has 6 scutes on the side, could she have been born with extra?View attachment 337181View attachment 337182
Yes, the tortoise has an extra costal scute on the left side. I am counting 5 total scutes on that side where there should be 4. You mentioned 6, but I am not seeing a 6th one.

Also, just FYI, the sharp scutes in your photo are the marginal scutes (as Markw84 noted). The supracaudal scute is the scute in the midline at the rear of the tortoise right above the tail. It is a single scute in most tortoises, but in some species, it is split into two halves.

Last edited:

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I counted the one at the back as one20211208_190935_001.jpg20211208_190947_001.jpg
Does this extra scute mean anything, is it just something unique @zovick ?
(Also both sides have the extra scute)

zovick

10 Year Member!
I counted the one at the back as oneView attachment 337183View attachment 337184
Does this extra scute mean anything, is it just something unique @zovick ?
(Also both sides have the extra scute)
The scutes going from front to back in the midline of the tortoise are called the central scutes. So the scute at the back which you counted as a 6th costal scute is actually one of the 5 central scutes. Tortoises normally have 5 central scutes in the midline and 4 costal scutes on each side.

Extra scutes sometimes indicate a higher than optimal incubation temperature, but they do not cause the tortoise any medical issues.

At least your tortoise is symmetrical since it has an equal number of costal scutes on either side. If it did not, it would grow disproportionately, and as it got larger, the side with the extra scute would tend to bulge out compared to the side without an extra scute.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Here's a better image20211208_193425.jpg
I think it was cb, but here in SA, cb means that they are in your yard, so no incubator, she came from Culinan which is far away from their natural habitat, (around 1500km away) so I think that may have been the reason, in Culinan, it's the bushveld, so it gets hot and the nights are cool, so I think it could be that? Do you think it was cb @zovick?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here's a better imageView attachment 337186
I think it was cb, but here in SA, cb means that they are in your yard, so no incubator, she came from Culinan which is far away from their natural habitat, (around 1500km away) so I think that may have been the reason, in Culinan, it's the bushveld, so it gets hot and the nights are cool, so I think it could be that? Do you think it was cb @zovick?
The higher incubation temperature of the ground in Culinan may account for the abnormal scutes on the tortoise. I have seen abnormal scutes on wild caught Madagascan Spider Tortoises as well, so it is not impossible for naturally incubated tortoises to get these conditions.

And I do see only 4 central scutes on your tortoise in the new photo, so it is quite unique. Have you had it long? It appears to look healthy, so good work.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Thanks! I've had her for about a month, she is 5 years old, so a bit stunted, but new growth has formed in recent weeks
20211208_194935_001.jpg20211208_194925.jpg20211208_194920_001.jpg
Her feces have also stabilized and is now a bit more solid
(Also what's nice is she is a babcoki tort, so she is fearless and I can sit beside her and she won't mind, she just continues)

zovick

10 Year Member!