Sunlight behavioral difference!

Fl@sh

I have definitely noticed a change in behavior from when he spends time in the sun versus days he cant go outside due to rain bad weather or it being winter. It goes to show that even just a few days of synthetic UVB light still has a impact on energy levels. My uv light is a 10.0. As soon as Barry hits the sunlight he changes completely. It just goes to show how important natural sunlight is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is a lot more going on in the great outdoors than just the light. Everything is different outside. The light is just one of many variables.

Fl@sh

Very true. Outdoors is also a good immune builder. Although i do often worry about the impact wild lizards and other critters that can creep through his enclosure have on him. If for instance they carry a disease or pesticide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very true. Outdoors is also a good immune builder. Although i do often worry about the impact wild lizards and other critters that can creep through his enclosure have on him. If for instance they carry a disease or pesticide.

How does the outside build immunity?

In all my years of housing tortoise outdoors out in the country, I've never had a problem due to the local wildlife moving in and out of their enclosures.

Fl@sh

Tortoises like most reptiles thermo-regulate so if their body isnt in a constant controlled environment its learning to adapt to different ones. A breeze, light rain or whatever external factor, the tortoise like most animals are then taught to react to these conditions. Thus teaching their bodies to cope better with these conditions. I obviously dont mean extreme conditions hahha.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
QUOTE="Fl@sh, post: 1468628, member: 96091"]Tortoises like most reptiles thermo-regulate so if their body isnt in a constant controlled environment its learning to adapt to different ones. A breeze, light rain or whatever external factor, the tortoise like most animals are then taught to react to these conditions. Thus teaching their bodies to cope better with these conditions. I obviously dont mean extreme conditions hahha.[/QUOTE]
Cold blooded animals simply survive. Their bodies are at the mercy of their environment.
Some are better suited to cold or heat due to the species.;)