Sun

matchdog

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
When building a outdoor enclosure which is better morning sun exposure or evening exposure?

Killerrookie

The sun gives the same amount of energy all the time until it reaches the other side of the earth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ideally it should have both, and shade for both too. I like to make my enclosure very large and wrap them around buildings to accomplish this.

If you can only have one or the other, then I would make two enclosures and move the tortoise where it needs to be. Ths way you could have shade on hot days and sun on cooler days, no matter what time of day it is.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
While every comment above is correct there are some differences. AM or PM sun may determine when you put your tortoises out depending on your local climate. It may be too cool for you in a northern location to put your tortoise in its pen and go to work if it doesn't get warming sun for many hours. Arizonans may value morning sun more as afternoon sun may be scorching. Just a thought.

matchdog

Georgia
Okay I was wondering cause I picked two spots to build my sulcata enclosure. One gets sun from 9am-4pm and the other from 12pm-7pm.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay I was wondering cause I picked two spots to build my sulcata enclosure. One gets sun from 9am-4pm and the other from 12pm-7pm.

I would pick the spot that gets 12-7...this way the tort can sun itself and collect body heat to take to bed with him....just my opinion....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I'd find a way to connect the two so he can have sun or shade from 9am-7pm.

And, may I add, that I think it is fantastic that you are paying attention to these details and clocking your sun times in various locations. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mr. science says " sunlight is as sunlight does"
Personal choice, I would choose the morning sun to evening, prob. warmer.

matchdog

Georgia
Thanks Tom, I'm learning alot here. Next I'm wanting to see how the area drains water when it rains. What are some good bushes I can plant for shade and food source?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I'm learning alot here. Next I'm wanting to see how the area drains water when it rains. What are some good bushes I can plant for shade and food source?

In GA?! Sheesh! The sky is the limit. Everything will grow well there. I've had very good luck with everything in the mallow/hibiscus family. Lavatera is a great one and should be able to withstand your winters. Rose of sharon too. Regular hibiscus and African hibiscus should do well there, but they can't take freezing. Grape vines. Collard greens can grow big and make nice shade if you plant enough to keep them from being all eaten. (Good luck with that...) Dwarf fruitless mulberry would work and give great shade and food.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks like you are in good hand.

I am agree with you. I learn something new everyday here.

matchdog

Georgia
Ok the first picture is the morning sun. The second picture is the evening sun. The first area would be easier to run power for a night box.

Attachments

• 20150227_154315.jpg
    20150227_154315.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20150227_154137.jpg
    20150227_154137.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 22

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
After seeing those pictures, I don't think you are limited to "one or the other".. Looks like lots of space!

I'd suggest you make a L shape enclosure so he can benefit from both ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oh but if I had to choose...I'm a fan of morning sun over evening sun. I like to know that they can warm up/start their day sooner than later and later sun is usually hotter then, too.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I also think morning sun is preferential because it allows them to bask/warm up and go sooner. By the time afternoon rolls around in the summer, I don't see much in the way of basking since it's 90*+ in the shade.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I too vote for the morning sun, if there has to be a choice between the two. The reasons have all be given so well by the above posters. :)