sully outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
DSC00913.jpg

I have my two african spurs out side, they are approx 3 yrs old. Just recently expanded thier "pen". They have a hybiscus plant for munching on, they have pretty much eat eveything they could reach on it. Looking on ideas on what more i can add. they currently have a water bowl, which is a saucer that goes under pots, its a little small for them so looking for a larger one.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I don't know much about Sullys, but maybe some rocks or wood to climb on. How about some walls and hides to give them more to explore. A fruitless Mulberry tree would be cool, but might give too much shade. You could add potted plants and move them around.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I would add a hide or two- they can be simple -stacked cinder block ,three sided with a cover on top. Put in some cypress mulch or eco-earth to allow some "digging-for-cover"--- and perhaps some flat stone as a specific area for feeding. Water area is a must even if you sink in the dirt{small depression} the top of a garbage can that can be accessed easily and tipped for cleaning. Looks like a nice place to live and "grow".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great enclosure and a nice area. Plenty of room to expand. You could plant some opuntia cactus and then surround it with slumpstone blocks, two high. These grow really fast and look fairly nice. I use dead tree trunks and mounds of dirt to create decorative "obstacles" for them. Some people like to use plastic flower pots or trashcans cut in half and laid flat to make shelters for them. Where in the country do you live? I love their den box. Very nice. How do you heat it?

Where are the pics of the torts?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Lovely pen.Some ornamental grasses would look nice and give them a place to hide under it. I planted pompas grass in Lanas pen and she does not eat it but loves to hide under it. Do you have weeds in there? If not you can order weed seeds or gather seeds yourself. Helps on the food bill when they can graze in there pen. I would love to see closer pics of the tort house it looks nice. How bought some pics of your torts too :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Missy said:
Lovely pen.Some ornamental grasses would look nice and give them a place to hide under it. I planted pompas grass in Lanas pen and she does not eat it but loves to hide under it. Do you have weeds in there? If not you can order weed seeds or gather seeds yourself. Helps on the food bill when they can graze in there pen. I would love to see closer pics of the tort house it looks nice. How bought some pics of your torts too :)

Your sulcatas won't eat the pampas grass? You're making me want to try it, but I'm pretty sure how it would end in my pen... bare dirt... again.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Tom said:
Missy said:

Your sulcatas won't eat the pampas grass? You're making me want to try it, but I'm pretty sure how it would end in my pen... bare dirt... again.

Nope not even a nibble. Tank has smaller ornamental grasses in his pen and he don't eat his either.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks for the great ideas on the plants, i have tried "growing" several differnt types of plants, but once Mr booth see thems he goes on over and munches them down to nothing. I will try some of the different types of grasses, if i can find them. There are some weeds in there but they have eaten most of them.

They get to roam the whole yard on weekends and some days, but they are a little small to have free range right now.

There is a tile slab that is used for feeding, i didnt post a bunch of pics, had a crazy one year old that wouldnt let me take a bunch of pics. I will post more from different angles and ones of the torts, Mr Abe and Mr Booth.

I am in Southern cali, the house is heated by two heat lamps that are on a timmer, curently only one of them is on as its still pretty warm at night, i have a external temp guage in there that i can read from the house and it doesnt get below 60 in the cold spot of the house and its about 70's in the basking zone.

I would like to get some "decorative" hides and "obstacles" for them, have to keep it looking nice for the wife, dont think she wants to see a bunch of cut up pots and trashcans in the yard.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Have you seen the fake rocks that people use to cover pipes and such in yards? I think they would make a nice looking hide if in the shade. I think they could have a doorway cut pretty easy and maybe drill holes in the top to let heat out.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Differnt angle of there pen
DSC00917.jpg

Here is there hut, it has a raised floor so they have a ramp to go in and out
DSC00918.jpg

Heating lamps to keep them warm at night
DSC00919.jpg

Mr booth on the left Mr Abe on the right, it was already night time for them so snuck in and took a quick pic.
DSC00920.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.