Sulcata waving head when he eats

jfales

5 Year Member
Hi! I wrote a few years ago when I moved a sulcata from NM to AZ. My sister reports today that Mac (approx 17 yo now) took some bok choy and then waved his head back and forth. He also is being standoffish to my sister. She believes she might have seen blood. This is the first time for this behavior in 4 years. They changed his hay (don't know from what to what) and he isn't eating it as well. I suggested veterinary care (unless it is just a mating action - which I hope you can tell me). She lives north of Tuscon, near Oracle. Any veterinary recommendation would also be appreciated.

jfales

5 Year Member
Hi! I wrote a few years ago when I moved a sulcata from NM to AZ. My sister reports today that Mac (approx 17 yo now) took some bok choy and then waved his head back and forth. He also is being standoffish to my sister. She believes she might have seen blood. This is the first time for this behavior in 4 years. They changed his hay (don't know from what to what) and he isn't eating it as well. I suggested veterinary care (unless it is just a mating action - which I hope you can tell me). She lives north of Tuscon, near Oracle. Any veterinary recommendation would also be appreciated.
Sorry - he is approx 27 years old now - not 17!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Sometimes my sulcata will bite into a stalk that he can't bite through. He will wave his head to dislodge the food. I have seen him do just this with bok choy. It also happens when bites into something he doesn't like. They are not very good a spitting things out so they get creative.

jfales

5 Year Member
Sometimes my sulcata will bite into a stalk that he can't bite through. He will wave his head to dislodge the food. I have seen him do just this with bok choy. It also happens when bites into something he doesn't like. They are not very good a spitting things out so they get creative.
Thanks Joe! I hope it is something benign like that. His lack of responsiveness to my sister is troubling. He actually usually comes when called (in hopes of getting a nice treat).

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Has she checked his mouth? Is it possible he may have something stuck, since blood may have been seen?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She may have changed to a type of hay that has hard stems. Tell her the best hay for sulcata tortoises is a soft, grass hay like orchard grass.

jfales

5 Year Member
Has she checked his mouth? Is it possible he may have something stuck, since blood may have been seen?
I have given them some hints as to how to check. He weighs over 120 pounds ... Thank you for your response!

jfales

5 Year Member
She may have changed to a type of hay that has hard stems. Tell her the best hay for sulcata tortoises is a soft, grass hay like orchard grass.
I sent the suggestion onto her. I think he has eaten alfalfa in the past, not optimal, but available. Thank you for your response1