Sulcata tortoise temperature

Cookie04

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello everyone,
I care for 2 salcatas at work in southeast Texas. They are about 3 years old we got them about 6 months ago. I'm trying to figure out what's the lowest temperature they are ok to tolerate? They primarily stay in an outdoor enclosure with a shed that has two reptile heat lamps the thermometer usually reads about 20 degrees above the outside temperature. On really cold days I have brought them in the barn with a space heater but don't have any kind of good set up for that it's defiantly not good long term. I want to be doing the best care possible and from my understanding it's better if I'm able to keep them in the outside area but don't want them suffering in the cold. Thank you for any help.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Pictures speak 1000 words!
If these tortoises are together, please work on separating them ASAP. Tortoises are highly territorial, and do not need or want friends. It is highly stressful for both of them.
I’m not sure how large your tortoises are, and knowing that would help immensely.
Please take a look at these links and come back with questions.-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
80 degrees should be the minimum temp they experience. They can sometimes survive colder temps than that, but sometimes it makes them sick or kills them, and even if it doesn't, colder temps are not "good" for them or "natural".

Sounds like you need to build a good tortoise box. This one has a divider in the middle to keep the two tortoises apart and in their own enclosures, but I only hay to heat one box: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Heat lamps are not a good way to heat larger tortoises that are living outside. Most of the time the top of their carapace gets "slow-burned".

Cookie04

Texas
Awesome great info thank you I'm learning a lot. I'll be looking into making their inclosure better. I've just recently learned about soaking them. They were raised together not sure if they are male or female they are suppose to be the same. Haven't had time to measure them yet will do so in a few and respond again. Did snap a quick pic.

IMG_1331.JPG

Cookie04

Texas
The big one is about 9 in and the smaller one about 7 in. Included pic of them.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sadly, it does not matter that they were raised together, and one being smaller than the other is a sure sign of tortoise aggression. One hogs the food dish, good basking spot, and good hiding spots, and the other one’s growth gets stunted. Further more, “cuddling” and “following” is one trying to push the other out of it’s territory.
You have very nice, smooth, healthy looking torts there!