Sulcata slowly recovering

Arzu78

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi, I have a 4 month Sulcata, Jack, who has been under the weather for 2 weeks. He stopped eating, did not move around as expected and did not open his eyes. Took him to the vet, no parasites, and with the help of the members of this forum, regarding temps and humidity, slowly but surely, he’s been doing much better. He does not eat, yet, but moves and opens his eyes while in his carrot/babyfood/soak (he even pooped). I know every tortoise is different, but I was wondering about a “timetable” for full recovery, which should be eating and moving around in his enclosure. Anyone that can shed some light???!!! Thanks !!!

#sleeplessintheisland

jjgregory

ohio
Hi, I have a 4 month Sulcata, Jack, who has been under the weather for 2 weeks. He stopped eating, did not move around as expected and did not open his eyes. Took him to the vet, no parasites, and with the help of the members of this forum, regarding temps and humidity, slowly but surely, he’s been doing much better. He does not eat, yet, but moves and opens his eyes while in his carrot/babyfood/soak (he even pooped). I know every tortoise is different, but I was wondering about a “timetable” for full recovery, which should be eating and moving around in his enclosure. Anyone that can shed some light???!!! Thanks !!!

#sleeplessintheisland
They have a super slow metabolism so both getting sick and showing signs of illness and also recovrry csn be a long process. The ojai sulcatta project has a great website full of info on this and dave friend the director is also open to share his wealth of knowledge in a phone call. He lists his email and number on the site.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
They have a super slow metabolism so both getting sick and showing signs of illness and also recovrry csn be a long process. The ojai sulcatta project has a great website full of info on this and dave friend the director is also open to share his wealth of knowledge in a phone call. He lists his email and number on the site.

Thank you, thank you, I will check it out, it’s been a rollercoaster, just need to check that I’m on the right track !!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you, thank you, I will check it out, it’s been a rollercoaster, just need to check that I’m on the right track !!!

Go over the Ojai Sulcata project website carefully and then compare their information with the care sheets available in this website. Here are some threads of various members discussing the differences and their opinions on this matter:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/ojai-sulcata-project.164412/#post-1583003
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-horsefield.168352/#post-1642840

Having read and gone through Ojai Sulcata Project's care information and being a previous keeper that have used similar practices to care for an assortment of tortoise species, I would strongly urge new and ongoing tortoise owners to stick with the care information found in this website.

Here are a few very well written and well explained care sheets for Sulcatas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
RIP our dear Jack, we tried so hard for you to recover but we lost 3 valuable weeks in the process of finding out diagnosis ... He had an obstruction, after one week of plenty soaks and him moving around alert and “happy” during them” his system finally shut down. Will miss you little guy [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17] One of the main reasons for not eating, not opening eyes and/or not moving is an obstruction. Only an xray will let you know ... Hope this post helps someone in the same predicament ... We still have Lizzy, who is thriving under the hot and humid weather of our beautiful island ... The was one of my “issues” both being taken care the same way, one healthy, one sick ... Let’s move forward [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
RIP our dear Jack, we tried so hard for you to recover but we lost 3 valuable weeks in the process of finding out diagnosis ... He had an obstruction, after one week of plenty soaks and him moving around alert and “happy” during them” his system finally shut down. Will miss you little guy [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17] One of the main reasons for not eating, not opening eyes and/or not moving is an obstruction. Only an xray will let you know ... Hope this post helps someone in the same predicament ... We still have Lizzy, who is thriving under the hot and humid weather of our beautiful island ... The was one of my “issues” both being taken care the same way, one healthy, one sick ... Let’s move forward [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]
I am sorry this happened after all your efforts. But did he get an XRay? What was the "obstruction"? Really just curious about it if you don't mind.

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
No, I don’t mind. Could have been some aquarium pebbles. We went to a local pet shop looking for aquarium turtles and ended buying two sulcatas, as if they were beta fish, in two small plastic carriers ... with little to no information. I put them in a large sand box, together, so they had more space, and Jack got “bullied” by Lizzy. We were late in both going to the vet and getting the x-ray done ... Jack had eaten three aquarium pebbles ... The vet hoped he would be able to expel them, with mineral oil and long soaks, but we started too late. We have set Lizzy good with the help of TF and she is thriving!!! I still shed tears for Jack thou ...