Sulcata Skin Problem. Please Help

minimic210

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have a 3 year old sulcata that I got a few months ago. Yesterday I noticed small red dots on his back legs and today I noticed that they are a little bit bigger. He is still eating, and drinking, and is active. I'm not sure if I need to take him to the vet or not. I did just move across the country so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with the spots. I have him in a 40 gallon critter tank with one UVB light, a heat lamp (75 watts), and a basking bulb (100 watts). He has two huts that he can hide in and a shallow bowl for water I use the Eco Earth Coconut fiber "dirt" for his bedding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

20160616_113825.jpg 20160616_113850.jpg 20160616_223333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
Besides the tank being to small, I can't name anything that is wrong. Could it be bug bites? Or maybe the bulb is to big for his container? Is it the swirly type those are know to cause eye problems, it might be causing a sun burn?

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
I would not go to a vet untill one of the members here messages back a lot of them know more about tortoise health then vets do lol.

Also you might have better luck in the health section of the forum.

minimic210

Colorado
Besides the tank being to small, I can't name anything that is wrong. Could it be bug bites? Or maybe the bulb is to big for his container? Is it the swirly type those are know to cause eye problems, it might be causing a sun burn?

It is not a swirly bulb it is just a regular basking bulb. What do you mean by the bulb being to big for his container? He was in the car with me for the 22 hr move with the sun on him for some of the time.. would that have caused a sun burn? he stayed at about 80-90 degrees in the car. How big of a tank should he have?

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
A lot bigger I would read up the care sheets at the top of the sulcata section and read up on them, and ask in the enclosure section. Also I would ask about this in the health section.

Sorry I had meant was he getting too hot.

And how high up is his uvb bulb? And do you have the humidity at about 80%?

For now I would soak him for 20 mins. The more experienced members are asleep :(

minimic210

Colorado
His UVB bulb is about 10 inches above him and his humidity is only at 60%. I will start soaking him for 20 mins a day. I reposted this in the health section. Thanks for the help :)

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
His UVB bulb is about 10 inches above him and his humidity is only at 60%. I will start soaking him for 20 mins a day. I reposted this in the health section. Thanks for the help :)

Np :) just wish I could help more lol sorry.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Are you sure your sulcata is three years? It's hard to fathom a three year old sulcata being able to turn around in, let alone living in a tank that small. They can get scratches from their shell and surroundings, especially if space is tight.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree, mine is almost 2 and he couldn't turn around in there.

Do you have any full shell pictures of the tort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something is definitely irritating that skin. Since the move have you given him new substrate? I would toss the substrate and start over. Put the tortoise is a tub of water, with the tub big enough so the water can come up to the middle of his sides. Leave him in there for about a half hour, then change out the water and scrub his skin gently with a soft bristle brush. Rinse him off good. See if that helps.

If your tortoise fits under those hiding places, then the tank probably isn't too small yet, but from the picture of the tortoise I'm seeing a tortoise much bigger than those hiding places. He looks like he's ready for an outdoor habitat now.

minimic210

Colorado
I was told his previous owner that he is three turning four this year but he has always seemed really small to me to be that age. I changed out the substrate as soon as i could when we got to our new home. He can still fit in the logs and loves to drag his food in there with him lol. This is a picture of him next to a dvd case. I will soak him and brush him off today and let you know how it goes. Also, I was told that it is dangerous for me to keep i'm in a glass tank is that true?

20160617_102058.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I would say he's got some pyramiding but doesn't look bad yet. I would suggest getting something bigger and getting some closed chambers to hold heat and humidity in. That screen also filters out light needed for him. Read all the care sheets and you both will be happy with the progress in the future.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
The can stress out some tortoises because they can't see the glass and will try to walk thru it. If yours has that problem just put a band of something around it at and above head hight of your tortoise.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
It looks like he may have scraped his legs on his shell. That would make sense if his tank were tipped at an angle in the cars as well or if he was sliding. If the sores are only on top of his legs, that would be my guess.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
From what I can see , they do sort of look like scrapes / or abrasions . Speedy will get one every so often , since he doesn't understand the concept of going around anything ! If you cant go through it your only other choice is to go over it ! :D I have never done anything , other than continue his soaks and keep an eye on it . They usually clear up and are gone in 2 or 3 days ! :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Is she acting/looking healthy otherwise? Any changes in her eating, pooping/pee, sleeping, any discharge from eyes/nose/mouth/vent? Any swelling anywhere? And are those red spots limited only to that leg?

minimic210

Colorado
He is acting normal. Still walks around, eats, lays in his water bowl, pooping is the same but he has not peed as much. He loves to try and climb on the log. Could he have hurt himself on that? i have not noticed any swelling and there is no discharge anywhere. He has the red spots on his two back legs and one on his neck.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
If all else seems normal , I think I might just try to keep them clean ( through soaking) and see if they clear up !