Sulcata help for the future

Randoozle

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys its me again. After seeing everybody's advice, I've done the most I could do and the difference in her is night and day. She has been wandering around and munching on grass/hay for hours! Unfortunately, I do not have a shed (yet), but since she is still small, where would be the best place to put her? Also, I got the heat way up past the 90°s but I'm having trouble keeping the humidity up. What's the best way to deal with humidity? Finally, I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped me, it definitely made me feel like a bad owner, however I'm the type of person who learns from mistakes and tries my best to be better, and that's just what I'm going to do. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The way to deal with humidity is to use a closed chamber. Trying to heat and humidify an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. It simply can't work. Its just physics.

Randoozle

Portland, Oregon
The way to deal with humidity is to use a closed chamber. Trying to heat and humidify an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. It simply can't work. Its just physics.
A closed chamber simply like a shed type of deal? Or is it more complicated than that?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A closed chamber simply like a shed type of deal? Or is it more complicated than that?
This is mine for a Redfoot, but a Sulcata baby would love it...several members have boxes that the baby can go in...this is over a wooden tort table, a shower curtain liner is stapled over the bottom...DSCN2331.JPGin anything I look for the cheapest, easiest way...This was set up in a matter of hours, in my case the greenhouse is bigger than the table so I hadda get a neighbor with a saw to help put it together in the end. It keeps a constant humidity, generally 85 to 90%, with 85 degree temps. It is probably more wet than a Sulcata should have, but you can adjust...anyhow, that's mine, and you are welcome to come visit and see my animals and stuff anytime, I'm 90 miles away straight down 99 make 1 turn and there I am...north of Corvallis...DSCN2331.JPG
I have a female Sulcata who lives here...that will be your future...lol100_0087.JPG100_0756.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the colder winter months, I don't know how to adequately house a giant tropical reptile that needs 2500 square feet or more in your area. For the rest of the year, once the tortoise is over 10-12 inches, it can live outside with a heated night box. You can add tubs or buckets of water to the inside of the night box to increase humidity in it. Here are two examples:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us started with bad wrong info. The one I raised from a hatchling is proof I found the forum too late. But I was able to start the babies I hatched the right way, yay.
Taking and excepting the info and making changes, prices you are not a bad owner.