Sulcata hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkraeski

5 Year Member
image.jpgI have 2 new sulcata hatchlings. One was delivered Friday & the other today. Can anyone tell me an approximate age? One is 2.5 inches and the other I haven't measured yet but underneath his shell us not healed from hatching yet

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Take a look at the important threads below in my post. The first two you really need to read. The second one is for raising healthy smooth sulcatas. My guess on the age of your torts is approx. 4-6 weeks for the larger one and about 4 for the smaller one. That's just a guess from others I have seen on here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, the littler one I think I would keep on paper towels until the egg sack area closes up better. See what others say. BTW, do they both still have their egg tooth?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Omg! They are cute! Welcome! Definetly read those threads, they are critical for raising baby sullies.

Life is good

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Their egg tooth is a small "tooth" on their upper beak that helps break the egg when hatching.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
wellington said:
Also, the littler one I think I would keep on paper towels until the egg sack area closes up better. See what others say. BTW, do they both still have their egg tooth?

I was wondering about that too egg sack opening too..

Life is good

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think Wellington is right on the ages. The little one is just several days old. As mentioned, keeping the little on on paper towels is a good idea until the shell closes up.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Did you order them knowing that one still has its umbilical scar wide open? That little guy is very young, a few days, a week maybe. Most breeders won't let them go that young, not unless you specifically ask. The bigger guy is probably somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks.

I'd recommend keeping the smaller in a brooder box until he's all healed up. They both need to be kept warm and soaked daily.

There's a description on how to make a brooder box here, in Post #4:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66732.html

Welcome to the forum. :)

Jkraeski

5 Year Member
wellington said:

Yes they both still have the egg tooth

Jkraeski

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
Did you order them knowing that one still has its umbilical scar wide open? That little guy is very young, a few days, a week maybe. Most breeders won't let them go that young, not unless you specifically ask. The bigger guy is probably somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks.

I'd recommend keeping the smaller in a brooder box until he's all healed up. They both need to be kept warm and soaked daily.

There's a description on how to make a brooder box here, in Post #4:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66732.html

Welcome to the forum. :)

No I was not aware he would arrive with his umbilical scar open. It scares me a little. He is 2 inches big. Thanks for the advice! :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I don't see those too often were its open. Crazy that it was shipped that way. They definitely should have told you at least. But, glad you have the forum to guide you through it! Good luck!

Sulcata (Dexter)
Russian (Ezek)

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yeah maybe clean up the opening and put a little neosporin on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.