Sulcata enclosure size question

mashton10

5 Year Member
Hi I have 4 Hermann tortoise and I keep them in 8ft x 3ft indoor tortoise table, I let them out during summer but always bring them inside.

I've been looking into sulcatas, how long could I keep then inside in the same sized table? How long till fully grown? How much space would they need?

Thanks, matty

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Most recommend a 4x8 at min for a hatchling. This would last you about a year. At that point you would need to move them out side with a heated shed (20x20 ish) to lock them up at night. Depending on where you live & the climate....

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think this topic belongs in "Tortoise Photos & Videos".

Anyway, don't do it. 8x3 ft is already too small for four adult Hermann's tortoises. Unless you have a really BIG outdoor enclosure and live in a suitable climate, don't get a sulcata. Moving tortoises daily from indoors to outdoors and back is no good practice, in my opinion.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
As I am sure you already know -- Sullys get BIG fast. I adopted Walter January 2013. At that time he was approximately 2 months old and weighed 3oz. He was housed in a 20 gal. tank. Walter is now just about 2yrs old and weighs 11 lbs. He has outgrown two tort tables. He is now in a 4' by 8' tort table which I built about 6 months ago and will be lucky if it remains suitable until Spring when I will move him outdoors. Luckily he is my only tort and though his growth has certainly caught me by surprise, I feel comfortable that I can accommodate his needs as he grows. So to try and answer your questions, they grow fast. That size table would probably only last you a few years if you are lucky and could only house one sully. I have read that in the wild they are not fully grown until 50 years but in captivity they grow much quicker and can be as quick as 10 years - after seeing Walter I do believe that is possible. Tom would be better to answer that question. Good luck with your decision! They are wonderful torts for sure but certainly pose a challenge when it comes to space. :)