Sulcata baby is acting VERY strange

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
One of my baby sulcata tortoises hasn't been eating very well for me the past few days and today she nibbled a little on some mazuri mixed with zoo med grassland tortoise diet and she has been very lethargic and reluctant to open her eyes. The temps in her cage are 80 on the cool side, 90 on the hot side with a 100 degree basking spot. Her humidity level stays between 70 and 90 with a 100 humid hide. I've noticed her shell isn't as strong as the other babies she'll either. What is causing all of this? Is she going to be okay? Should I take her to the vet?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
That broke my heart reading that. I am going to take her to the vet and see what they say to do, but as of now the worst looks to be set in for her. Poor little baby, I tried so hard to make everything as perfect as could be... I really hope it is not hatchling failure syndrome.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Took Bumblebee to the vet and she unfortunately passed away. They narrowed it down to she had gotten weak and when she was eating she had a piece of food go into her lungs that she was unable to cough up. Her body produced mucus like crazy to try to get the object out of her lungs and she basically drowned herself to death. This leaves me in confusion about "why was she so weak?"
What I have narrowed down to is she probably ate a piece of substrate and got impacted causing her to become weak, leghargic, and unable to eat. That's just my guess though.

Tom, the breeder that I purchased "her" from was doing everything correctly. The babies where in a very nice closed chamber, being fed all the correct things (grasses, cactus pads, weeds, etc) and temperature and humidity where as perfect as can be. All of the babies dietary, temperature, and humidity needs where being met. The breeder is a very reputable breeder that knows his stuff. What happened was obviously out of the breeders hands and my hands.

DWB

5 Year Member
I don't even know what to say. I am soooo sorry to here about your baby. Dave

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Very sorry to hear. Its not always the way they are raised. Sometimes it happens for unknown reasons. And you got your answer. :(

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Vet called me back and he said he had been looking at the x-rays and there was a blockage in the stomach that could have very well been the cause of the symptoms.
Makes sense. Weakness, lethargic, and not wanting to eat.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
So very sorry for your loss. Huge hugs.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I am so sorry for your loss of your baby

Calinyc

New York
Hey man sorry for the lost of ur baby I can't imagine what that feels like. They are like our adopted kids I say...