Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Ok question and opinion time...

One how big do these guys get?

Two how do I know if they will be a good choice for me?

I love my redfoots, there Adorable but I see pics if these guys and I have fallen in love with them too. Just not sure of there right for Me. Sulcata owners please. Advice. And info

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you live in a warmer climate, with a huge back yard with grazing, then it would be good for you.
if not, then consider the smaller easier to house breeds..
they get 120 pounds,, some bigger.. destructive. need heated shed in the winter...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto what Laura said. Except, I do feel you can live any place, of just the warmer states, as long as you can afford to heat a large shed for the winter months.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They dig the eat they dig they move stuff around they poop and eat! Think of a cow that can dig a hole . But some do not dig if you have a cool place for them to hide when it is hot. And they are awesome when they get to know you like little dogs they follow you . But on the other hand some get mean and ram things in there space and sometimes this could be you. But for the most part if you take your time build the right enclosure feed them spend time with them they are awesome . But they eat and walk and eat and poop. Did I say they eat and poop.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
It's all about your lifestyle. They are a ton of work and need a lot of attention. I live in South Carolina so I have the weather and humidity on my side, as well as a few acres of grass. The care for me is like a big dog. They require attention and daily feedings. They also require clean up ( a lot of clean up ). On the flip side I feel very blessed to have Jessie and consider him a true friend. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378987596.604459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Re: RE: Sulcata and me

mike taylor said:
They dig the eat they dig they move stuff around they poop and eat! Think of a cow that can dig a hole . But some do not dig if you have a cool place for them to hide when it is hot. And they are awesome when they get to know you like little dogs they follow you . But on the other hand some get mean and ram things in there space and sometimes this could be you. But for the most part if you take your time build the right enclosure feed them spend time with them they are awesome . But they eat and walk and eat and poop. Did I say they eat and poop.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

How big is an adults poop??? Any pics?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
And in addition to the above, they will most likely out live you...... I actually have had to set up two individuals to care for Walter as I will certainly pass before he does......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My adult sulcatas poop is bigger than my great danes. They eat a lot.

Any tortoise can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort, but I would not even attempt a sulcata, or any other large tropical species, if I lived in the frozen north. They get huge and need a lot of space to walk. What kind of a life will your 32" 100+ pound tortoise have over your long cold winters? Compare that to one basking in the sun in a 1/2 acre yard in AZ in January... You asked for opinions. This is mine.

I feel your pain though. There are a lot of species that interest me, and I just don't keep them because my climate is not right for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Plus, you would have to have two separate habitats, making your yard even smaller, so that you can keep the RF and the sulcata separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.