Sulcata 15 yo smells horrible

Dudes Mom Kim

Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale, Ca
Hello. I have a 15 yo Sulcata, Dude. I have had him since he fit in the palm of my hand. He comes in and out of the house when he pleases. You can't tell a 70 lb tortoise banging on your door No. Nothing has changed as far as our surroundings. About 2 months ago, I let him in the house. He casually walks to the back bedroom he had claimed as his own, lays down, and goes to sleep. As we got closer to the hallway we started smelling something foul. It was/is Dude. This smell isn't from poop or urine, it's foul and it's from his rear end. I got a hold of a couple vets who said to wash him down with Betadine. I've done that. I've put peroxide on him a couple times a day, it fizzles and bubbles like crazy. I feel horrible. I'm not letting him in the house. He bangs on the door having a fit lol Then he leaves me a whole bunch of poop by the back door just to let me know how mad he is ? He is eating and drinking fine. Poop and urine are fine, but I know something isn't right. I know he shouldn't smell like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What does it look like when you turn him on his back and inspect the tail area closely? Sometimes, just because of the way the shell curls under, poop gets packed in there and needs to be dug out with a screw diver.

Dudes Mom Kim

Palmdale, Ca
What does it look like when you turn him on his back and inspect the tail area closely? Sometimes, just because of the way the shell curls under, poop gets packed in there and needs to be dug out with a screw diver.
It's clean. I've had him up on an upside down 5 gallon bucket and made sure he was real clean with the Betadine to begin with. Then I flush him with peroxide.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello. I have a 15 yo Sulcata, Dude. I have had him since he fit in the palm of my hand. He comes in and out of the house when he pleases. You can't tell a 70 lb tortoise banging on your door No. Nothing has changed as far as our surroundings. About 2 months ago, I let him in the house. He casually walks to the back bedroom he had claimed as his own, lays down, and goes to sleep. As we got closer to the hallway we started smelling something foul. It was/is Dude. This smell isn't from poop or urine, it's foul and it's from his rear end. I got a hold of a couple vets who said to wash him down with Betadine. I've done that. I've put peroxide on him a couple times a day, it fizzles and bubbles like crazy. I feel horrible. I'm not letting him in the house. He bangs on the door having a fit lol Then he leaves me a whole bunch of poop by the back door just to let me know how mad he is ? He is eating and drinking fine. Poop and urine are fine, but I know something isn't right. I know he shouldn't smell like this. Any help would be appreciated.
He may have an abscess, a cyst, or some other type of infection which is causing the foul odor. If it is an abscess or cyst, it could be on one of his legs, at the base of the tail, etc. Tortoises can develop these abscesses for unknown reasons and they can smell badly and also become infested with flies and maggots. Have you noticed any flies around him?

Or maybe he has a UTI which is causing foul smelling discharge to seep out of the cloaca. Have you noticed any type of discharge? A urinary tract stone (which sulcatas often get) may have caused an internal lesion which has become infected.

Perhaps a visit to the vet for an exam and a radiograph would be helpful in diagnosing the problem before something worse happens to him.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Peroxide generally isn’t as valuable as people think and it’s irritating. Most bacteria have peroxidase and you’re watching the peroxidase break down the hydrogen peroxide so it does no harm to the bacteria and you’re wasting your time. Human skin has peroxidase and it’s what is causing the nice, satisfying bubbles when you pour it on skin and blood. I use it to clean blood off my clothes and not much else. I think you’re better off sticking with the Betadine soaks and I agree with what everybody else is saying about getting some pictures up and thinking about some other causes.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I wonder about the efficacy of a dunk-tub of a betadine or chlorhexidine solution... up high enough that he's under to the carapace, but not so he has to swim..

I'm very much not an expert, especially with the big torts, but if he was mine that's what I'd try... dunk and sit and rinse, once or twice a day for a few days to see if it made some difference.

Jamie

Mysteek

Lake Worth, FL
I would be sure it's a Dude.......if it is a Dudette you should have her checked to make sure she is not egg bound. I am sure Dude is confused as to why he can't come in anymore. I would certainly find out what's wrong. It is his health and he depends on you to take care of his most mal-ordorous funk.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with @zovick

An x-ray can confirm or deny several possibilities.

Also, what do you feed him? Does he have a heated night box for winter and cold nights? Indoors on the floor of your house is not a good way to house these guys and usually results in a disaster of one type or another eventually. That may be what's happening right now.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Pictures #2 and #4 show a whitish discharge which has dried on the tail itself and some of the surrounding area near the spurs. It doesn't look like the color of the normal urates to me. You might try wetting down the tortoise and then scrubbing it off with a scrub brush (boar bristle probably better than plastic if you can find one) or maybe a good stiff toothbrush and seeing if the odor goes away and if/when it reappears. If that discharge is the source of the odor, a vet visit might be a good idea to determine the actual cause of the discharge.

It is still

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
a note: peroxide is good for cleaning a wound but using it to often won't let the injury heal

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

I love you ....and I love your tortoise.
That being said.....
I see the torts tail is turned to the side ?
Is that not one of the tell “tail” signs that it’s a girl??? Has he “REVEALED” himself to you yet???? If not I am guessing you’ve got a chick!??
Also... I have seen “exotic vet shows” and one of the animals had a “rotten egg” that had to be pulled out and the staff was all gagging! It was very stinky like you said.
But if this is the case it was an easy fix. Not surgery.. but I am SOOOOO far away from being an expert that I am going to shut my mouth now...But this is what MY gut wanted to offer... please take care of him/or her.... and best of luck! We are all here for you!!!!!! But please .... (from experience)
Listen to Tom,Yvonne,Maggie... and a couple of others!!!!! They REALLY know what they are talking about. TRUST ME!

sharonona

California
Sorry to hear about Dude. I the peroxide foams that means there is an infection. He needs some antibacteria and I would feed him a big hunk of an aloe vera leaf. The ones you can buy in the produce section if you aren't growing in your yard. I also read that you can use an antibacteria ound in a feed store for a soak.
Best wishes to Duke

[IMG alt="MikeCow1"]https://tortoiseforum.org/data/avatars/m/21/21177.jpg?1397300155[/IMG]
MikeCow1
5 Year Member

Joined Mar 31, 2012 Messages 367 Location (City and/or State) Orange County, CA
Get Duramycin Solution Powder at a feed store, it's tetracycline, add 1/4 tsp per quart of water as a soak

[IMG alt="MikeCow1"]https://tortoiseforum.org/data/avatars/m/21/21177.jpg?1397300155[/IMG]
MikeCow1
5 Year Member

Joined Mar 31, 2012 Messages 367 Location (City and/or State) Orange County, CA
Get Duramycin Solution Powder at a feed store, it's tetracycline, add 1/4 tsp per quart of water as a soak