Suggestions Needed for New Greek (Indoor) Enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry C.

5 Year Member
Ok I'm gonna be setting up and indoor enclosure for a baby Greek. I wanna set up something like this

3886275804_863d06ac66.jpg

What size plastic bin is perfect? I think I'm going with soil (untreated of course) or should I use something else? Whats the best place to find the bins? And could use some suggestions for plants and hides. Oh and where is a good place to find those smooth flat rocks?

Lots of questions, sorry.

Thx

Sorry forgot to ask what is the exact light I need. I would perfer the less fixtures or lamps the better. I know some lights are multi-purpose.

Is there anyway to get by using only one clamp lamp?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
you can get slate almost anywhere, like a home depot or similar store. a book case is a good idea, that's what I use. a flower pot on its side half buried works well as a hide, as do half logs. you may be able to get away with using one MVB in a ceramic fixture on a lamp stand (not actually clamped on the side of the enclosure as the MVB needs to be straight down, not on a slant, and the stand with the cord wrapped around it is more secure than a clamp only)

Depending on the temp of the area it will be, and night time temps, you may be able to get away with just one MVB, not needing another light or CHE for extra heat at nights or the other end of the enclosure. Someone that knows Greeks better will know more.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I like old bookcases (bigger) and cement mixing tubs, most bookcases can be bought online or in a yard sale for next to nothing.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
This is where Nelson lived as a hatchling. I bought this container from Home Depot.
100_3979-1.jpg

Just before he turned a year old I moved him to a 4x2 wooden enclosure that I built, and lined with plastic. The wood is pine and I purchased it from Home Depot.
IMG_1005a.jpg

A bin like the one you pictured has a good amount of floor space, but it's hard to keep the heat/humidity in with the sides being so low. Christmas tree bins are ideal, because they are long AND have tall sides, but those are difficult to find, especially this time of year.
You may have luck on Craigslist if you look for wooden bookcases. Remove the shelves and line with plastic, and it's similar to the tort table I made.

I really like coconut coir as a substrate for hatchlings, because it's soft and easy for them to burrow. I mixed Nelson's with sand initially, but found the sand to be irritating. It was better when I mixed the coir with plain top soil. Now I just use plain organic top soil in his indoor enclosure. Some people on here like to use Aspen bedding (NOT pine or cedar, which are toxic!) for their Greeks, but make sure you have a humid hide then, since you can't get the substrate wet. I prefer coco coir and/or top soil, and a lot of people on here like to use cypress mulch.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Looks great - but do you ever have problems with your tortoise trying to eat the fake plants? I have fake plants hanging around the ridge of my enclosure but not close enough for him to try and chomp out. He does try and reach for them though.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I watched him carefully when I first put them in. He may have taken a test nibble at first to see if they were real, but he hasn't ever touched them since. He likes to plow through them, push them over, be destructive ;)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
ChiKat said:
I watched him carefully when I first put them in. He may have taken a test nibble at first to see if they were real, but he hasn't ever touched them since. He likes to plow through them, push them over, be destructive ;)

Right on... I just don't trust my guy lol.

Tortoises are great rearrangers... I have cactus bone in ours and he moves that all around too.

Larry C.

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
This is where Nelson lived as a hatchling. I bought this container from Home Depot.
100_3979-1.jpg

Just before he turned a year old I moved him to a 4x2 wooden enclosure that I built, and lined with plastic. The wood is pine and I purchased it from Home Depot.
IMG_1005a.jpg

A bin like the one you pictured has a good amount of floor space, but it's hard to keep the heat/humidity in with the sides being so low. Christmas tree bins are ideal, because they are long AND have tall sides, but those are difficult to find, especially this time of year.
You may have luck on Craigslist if you look for wooden bookcases. Remove the shelves and line with plastic, and it's similar to the tort table I made.

I really like coconut coir as a substrate for hatchlings, because it's soft and easy for them to burrow. I mixed Nelson's with sand initially, but found the sand to be irritating. It was better when I mixed the coir with plain top soil. Now I just use plain organic top soil in his indoor enclosure. Some people on here like to use Aspen bedding (NOT pine or cedar, which are toxic!) for their Greeks, but make sure you have a humid hide then, since you can't get the substrate wet. I prefer coco coir and/or top soil, and a lot of people on here like to use cypress mulch.

How do you feel about a cement mix tray?

Thx

Larry C.

5 Year Member
Alright ppl whats the best substrate for Greeks I search and search and never see the same answer...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I have heard of several people using cement mixing trays- I think they're great!
They do grow fast, so have a plan for upgrading the enclosure eventually.

Larry C.

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
I have heard of several people using cement mixing trays- I think they're great!
They do grow fast, so have a plan for upgrading the enclosure eventually.

Already got one yesterday :D now just looking for best substrate for Greeks.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I don't have a Greek, but hopefully someone will come along and answer your question soon! Otherwise you could always start a new thread and ask in the Greek section.
When are you getting your baby?

Larry C.

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
I don't have a Greek, but hopefully someone will come along and answer your question soon! Otherwise you could always start a new thread and ask in the Greek section.
When are you getting your baby?

Its about a week or two old I think like in 3-4 weeks.:D

A

aponotiapsciz

Kredyty

W dzisiejszym swiecie nadzwyczaj wazne jest, tak aby oszczedzac kazdy z osobna grosz. Warto miec jakies oszczednosci, bowiem w zyciu czasami pojawiaja sie niespodziewane wydatki. Ludzie powinni miec kredyty
pod kontrola domowe finanse. W dzisiejszych czasach do wyboru mamy niezwykle duza stan bankow, ktore przescigaja sie w swoich ofertach. Wiekszosc bankow oferuje kredyty z malym oprocentowaniem. Za sprawa temu, mozemy wziac duza liczba gotowki w kredycie, nie placac zbyt duzej oplaty zwiazanej z oprocentowaniem.
Dobrym pomyslem, by powiekszyc wlasne kasa jest takze skorzystanie z kont finanse
. Za sprawa takiemu kontu, mozemy wplacac i wyplacac dowolne kwoty pieniedzy nie tracac przy tym oprocentowania. Jest to idealne rozwiazanie na rzecz tych, ktorym niezwykle wielokrotnie pojawiaja sie nieprzewidziane wydatki, np. ludzie, ktorzy remontuja dom. Kolejnym znakomitym pomyslem jest, izby wplacic pieniadze na ustalony okres czasu na w taki sposob zwana lokate. Lokaty oferuja nam wysokie oprocentowanie w skali roku lub innego wybranego terminu trwania lokaty. Za sprawa lokacie, nasze finanse moga sie rozbudowac dosyc znacznie, jesli na lokate wplacilismy duza ilosc pieniedzy.
Dzisiejsze banki oprocz przescigania sie w roznych ofertach wprowadzily takze inne udogodnienia, ktore pozwalaja, ze mozemy w kazdej chwili stwierdzic nasze finanse. Banki wprowadzily prawdopodobieństwo sprawdzania stanu konta przez Internet, placenia rachunkow, tudziez takze brania kredytow. Jest to znakomite udogodnienie dla ludzi posiadajacych swoj wlasny biznes. Niektore banki tylko i wylacznie specjalizuje sie w wirtualnej obsludze kont klientow. Wprowadzenie zdalnego monitorowania wlasnego konta bankowego daje takze prawdopodobieństwo na robienie szybkich przelewow, zas takze na zakupy w sieci.
Sposobow na dbanie o domowe finanse jest fundusze inwestycyjne
. Zawsze z kazdej wyplaty mozna zostawic nieco groszy na rachunek rozliczeniowy oszczednosciowe, tudziez po pewnym czasie moze uzbierac sie z tego wrecz niezla sumka pieniedzy, za ktora bedziemy mogli np. pojechac na wakacje lub zdarzyc prezent bliskiej nam osobie.

pko credit suisse strategicznej alokacji sfio
kredyt bez bik warszawa
pozyczka dla zadluzonych
dobre inwestycje
akcje.net

Niekiedy w zyciu czlowieka zdarzaja sie takie sytuacje, w ktorych potrzebuje duzej ilosci gotowki w wzglednie krotkim czasie, i jego finanse nie sa na tyle dobre, izby mogl dana sume wyplacic w gotowce. Naprzeciw temu problemowi wychodza nam banki, ktore w swej ofercie proponuja nam kredyty. Kredyt, mowiac ogolnikowo, to pozyczenie nam pewnej sumy pieniedzy na wyznaczony czas. Suma ta jest oprocentowana. Oprocentowanie kredytu zalezy od chwili banku w charakterze i dlugosci trwania kredytu.
Banki bardzo w wielu przypadkach w swej ofercie przedstawiaja nam kredyty na nadzwyczaj korzystnych warunkach, z niski oprocentowaniem oraz z niezmiernie niskimi ratami. Biorac jednakze kredyt nalezy wybitnie stricte sie zastanowic lub bedziemy w stanie elapse splacic. W przypadku nie splacania rat kredytu bank upomni sie o pozyczone pieniadze, a to moze sie okazac stratami i pomniejszyc nasze finanse
. Banki w swej ofercie posiadaja kredyty, ktore charakteryzuja sie niskimi kwotami oraz posiadaja kredyty, ktore charakteryzuja sie wybitnie wysokimi sumami. Kredyty odznaczajace sie duzymi sumami potrzebuja zwyczajowo zabezpieczenia oraz dowodu dla banku, ze wiadomy kredyt bedzie splacany. Ogromnie w wielu przypadkach taki kredyt zostaje zwany kredytem hipotecznym. Kredyt hipoteczny to taki, dla ktorego dowodem na splacanie rat jest nieruchomosc. W przypadku braku wplywow na konto banku, informacja nieruchomosc zostaje zajmowana przez komornika. W przypadku dalszego nie splacenia kredytu, nieruchomosc zostaje poddana licytacji, a pozniej sprzedana. W dzisiejszych czasach kredyty sa nadzwyczaj powszechnym zjawiskiem. Duza wartosc ludzi decyduje sie na nie ze wzgledu na udogodnienie dostepu do szybkiej gotowki, a przy tym pieniadze nie sa zbytnio obciazane.
Trzeba pamietac o tym, ze nie trzeba pobierac zbytnio duzej ilosci kredytow w jednym czasie. Moze okazac sie to zgubnym zjawiskiem, ktore moze zawrzec nasze kapital do totalnej ruiny. Podczas brania finanse
charakteryzujacych sie duzymi sumami powinno sie zachowac rozsadek oraz przewidziec w najwiekszym stopniu pesymistyczne zjawiska, ktore moga wplynac na zaklocenie splaty kredytu.

I

inogarkerlola

What do you think of Google Plus?

What do you think of Google+?
I'm liking it. I think Google got it right this time. Circles are great. I believe it encourages networking.
When they implement apps and social games I hope they make sure it does not pollute my stream.
Also, I think "sparks" is useless.
-------------------------------------------------
spam deleted by mod

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
people seem to use a variety of substrates:
Cypress mulch
Organic topsoil
Organic topsoil 70%/playsand 30%
Aspen

My Russians (similar) love to burrow at night in Aspen (smaller area with hide), with Cypress mulch and topsoil or fine Orchid bark in the main area so it holds a bit more moisture. Nice for them to have choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.