Such a handfull....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW England, UK
Hi EchoTheLeoTort!
My little Russian Tort Darwin walked up to me, climbed my hand by his own choice for the first time and had a nap in my hands today!!! :D

I've been gently rubbing Darwin's head and neck every so often, let him sleep on my lap etc every day as you suggested and he has become used to be petted recently, but never actively interacted with me.
However, when he was walking around in our conservatory this afternoon, I was sitting on the floor, quietly talking to him (I must have been super suspicious, if someone saw me from outside...), he walked up closer to me so I put my right hand down to his level. At first he sniffed my finger tips, so I thought "ahh, he'll bite my fingers again..." as he has bitten my finger tips a couple of times, probably he thought my fingers were food, although I don't hand-feed him. :(
But he didn't bite at all this time! Then sniff other finger, sniff another went on... I added my left hand down next to my right hand, then he rest his head on my finger tip... then he started climbing into my palms!
I almost started crying as I was watching him climbing up my hands! As he reached to the centre of the palms, he yawned and started having a nap!

I couldn't move, as both hands were underneath sleeping Darwin, so I was patiently waiting for my husband to realise that I was laying down on the floor for a while... after almost an hour later, hubby came round to check on me so I asked him to take photo of Darwin in my palms!
DarwinInMyPalms.jpg
It was the best moment in my life, apart from my own wedding!!! :p

Thank you sooooo much EchoTheLeoTort, for your advice earlier on how to get closer to your baby tort! Darwin's still nowhere near as friendly as Echo, and it might have been just a beginner's luck, but I'll keep working on and try to get his trust! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Dar said:
Hi EchoTheLeoTort!
My little Russian Tort Darwin walked up to me, climbed my hand by his own choice for the first time and had a nap in my hands today!!! :D

I've been gently rubbing Darwin's head and neck every so often, let him sleep on my lap etc every day as you suggested and he has become used to be petted recently, but never actively interacted with me.
However, when he was walking around in our conservatory this afternoon, I was sitting on the floor, quietly talking to him (I must have been super suspicious, if someone saw me from outside...), he walked up closer to me so I put my right hand down to his level. At first he sniffed my finger tips, so I thought "ahh, he'll bite my fingers again..." as he has bitten my finger tips a couple of times, probably he thought my fingers were food, although I don't hand-feed him. :(
But he didn't bite at all this time! Then sniff other finger, sniff another went on... I added my left hand down next to my right hand, then he rest his head on my finger tip... then he started climbing into my palms!
I almost started crying as I was watching him climbing up my hands! As he reached to the centre of the palms, he yawned and started having a nap!

I couldn't move, as both hands were underneath sleeping Darwin, so I was patiently waiting for my husband to realise that I was laying down on the floor for a while... after almost an hour later, hubby came round to check on me so I asked him to take photo of Darwin in my palms!

It was the best moment in my life, apart from my own wedding!!! :p

Thank you sooooo much EchoTheLeoTort, for your advice earlier on how to get closer to your baby tort! Darwin's still nowhere near as friendly as Echo, and it might have been just a beginner's luck, but I'll keep working on and try to get his trust! :D

Oh wow thats really neat! Every tort will have its own personality so it may work for some, and not for others. Personally I think Echo is pretty darn bold. When I first had him I had my puppy on my bed and i was keeping her far away and he just strolled up to her and tried to climb on her back. I almost had a panic attack! I never let my dogs near the tortoise at all. I don't want to give the wrong impression, there are many times when Echo goes off and does his own thing. Sometimes I let him explore the living room, other times he gets half my room to walk around (which is scary because he's a little over 2 inches and HARD to find. Because I don't always have time to be right next to him. But a lot of times he does go explore and then come back and take a nap with me. he loves to climb things as well and recently I was on the computer chatting with someone and Echo climbed up and nestled into my hair on my shoulder. I figured he was trying to climb but when i checked the front camera on my phone he was nestled in sleeping again. I have kind of a half adventurous, half cuddly tort. He is a really good companion. I've been on vacation the past few weekends and when I come home I go check on him and as soon as i slide his door open he comes right over to get a good head pet and to welcome me home. I made a video on it :D Usually though Echo will be on the couch watching tv with me, he walks around maybe 5 minutes then gets into my hand and sleeps. Just keep spending time with Darwin and he will keep coming around. But don't get down if he goes to explore, it's a tortoise thing, they won't always cuddle. But if you get him to the point where he lets you get a good head stroke in and sleep on your hand you are doing quite well. Congrats :D

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
Thank you! :)
Darwin loves running around inside and outside of the house but I'm sure that he's not as adventurous as your Echo!
Oh yes, I've kept going back to watch the video and enjoying "awwwww" moments every time. That video is my dream destination!

I'll keep trying without disturbing Darwin from what he's doing, will try not to make him scared and will try to share quiet and calm moments together.
I'm looking forward to seeing you & Echo's next photo or video! You two are my big inspiration! :D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using TortForum mobile app

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Dar said:
Thank you! :)
Darwin loves running around inside and outside of the house but I'm sure that he's not as adventurous as your Echo!
Oh yes, I've kept going back to watch the video and enjoying "awwwww" moments every time. That video is my dream destination!

I'll keep trying without disturbing Darwin from what he's doing, will try not to make him scared and will try to share quiet and calm moments together.
I'm looking forward to seeing you & Echo's next photo or video! You two are my big inspiration! :D

I just made a kinda long thread about Echo, I think he is sick and so far no one can guess anything thats wrong with him :/ he has a good cage setup and good husbandry but all the sudden his shell is getting easy to "push in" It isn't soft texture but its turning more and more flexible. It takes not a lot of pressure to get his shell to bend in. Usually this is a result of lack of calcium, and UVB but i give him calcium powder on his food twice a week and he gets UVB every day as well as some sunshine during the week. So i'm really worried about him. I got my first pet snake this past week so i was busy doing research and setting up her cage and stuff that i didn't have much time to get Echo out, so it happened within a week :( I hope he turns out okay and if he is sick then i hope i can get him help.

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear about your Echo being unwell... :(
I hope he gets well soon and make us smile with his cuteness again!

Status
Not open for further replies.