Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebee51

5 Year Member
Hi, I just changed my tortoises substrate for the first time, he used to be on quite a dry sandy substrate but I now put him on a quite moist soil-like substrate. Is this ok?

bumblebee51

5 Year Member
It just says its soil, it has stones in as well, think it's for calcium

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I prefer damp substrates for all my species, but someone with Hermanns experience should tell you whether its okay for them. I will say watch your temps. The evaporation from the damp substrate can cause the temps to drop significantly. You may need to lower your bulbs or increase your wattage.

bumblebee51

5 Year Member
Thanks, I will keep an eye on things, was just a bit worried that's all. I haven't cleaned him out properly before as I only got him about a week or 2 ago.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Are the "stones" that you are referring to white and smaller than a pea? If so it might be perlite, used in bagged soils for moisture retention. Perlite is crushed volcanic rock which is very pourous. It is also abrasive and can be easily ingested by tortoises but not digested. It is harmless in terms of any chemicals so very small amounts present in the soil shouldn't be a problem. Larger quantities would be. You may want to look the bag over a little better and see if it contains fertilizers too. Unless it's marked as organic top or potting soil it may contain chemical fertilizers for plant growth. Something that should be avoided as tortoise substrate. Organic soils contain fertilizers too, in the form of ground poultry droppings. While it may be "poop" it is organic and the amount contained in a bag of organic soil is very likely harmless to tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.