Substrait.

kball

So my moms boyfriend bought abunch of black mulch for my calf pin. Would it be ok to use. It doesn't rub off if u touch it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Personally, i would be concerned about the black dye used in this product, especially since it is advertized as "color enhanced" and "long lasting." I'll be interested what others have to say about the dye. All kinds of stuff gets ground in with commercial mulch like this. I like good old peat moss and sphagnum moss from Canada. Comes in large bales, holds moisture easy to work with.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I use 50-50 peat and organic potting soil. No colour enhancements in it.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The dye could stain your tortoises skin. I've seen pictures of people keeping lizards on colored calci-sand (NONONO) and they get stained that color.

kball

I wetted it down and just felt it any rubbed my hand in it and it didn't stain my hand and it didn't even look like dirt or anything

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You have to take the long view when you deal with tortoises. I would not use it.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I was talking to some organic gardening experts the other day and remembered your Q about black mulch. Here's what they said: the colour enhancer/dye in the mulch is the least of your worries because it's usually vegetable based. However, mulch can come from different sources: 1) natural hardwoods and 2) shipping pallets. Some companies will use old crates and pallets to make "organic" mulch. Now, their process may be completely legit in that it's all organic, but the pallets themselves have been heavily treated with chemicals for transport use. Usually, there's no way to know what was used for the mulch.

May, Aussies, & THBs

kball

I was talking to some organic gardening experts the other day and remembered your Q about black mulch. Here's what they said: the colour enhancer/dye in the mulch is the least of your worries because it's usually vegetable based. However, mulch can come from different sources: 1) natural hardwoods and 2) shipping pallets. Some companies will use old crates and pallets to make "organic" mulch. Now, their process may be completely legit in that it's all organic, but the pallets themselves have been heavily treated with chemicals for transport use. Usually, there's no way to know what was used for the mulch.

May, Aussies, & THBs
Thank u. And thank u to everyone. I will just get some reptibark. I was just wondering because it's really cheap and we have five extra bags of it.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thank u. And thank u to everyone. I will just get some reptibark. I was just wondering because it's really cheap and we have five extra bags of it.

No worries. You don't have to buy really expensive specialty stuff, either. I just bought this stuff. Four bags of dirt plus the one monster bag of peat moss, set me back a whole $18. I'm changing the substrate in 2, 4'x4' enclosures.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407614331.786209.jpg

May, Aussies, & THBs

kball

No worries. You don't have to buy really expensive specialty stuff, either. I just bought this stuff. Four bags of dirt plus the one monster bag of peat moss, set me back a whole $18. I'm changing the substrate in 2, 4'x4' enclosures.
View attachment 91083

May, Aussies, & THBs

If u don't mind me asking. Where r u from

kball

Would it be ok to use for like a week until I can get some new because it's pretty nasty inside the tank

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Would it be ok to use for like a week until I can get some new because it's pretty nasty inside the tank

You mean using the black mulch for a week? Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

May, Aussies, & THBs

kball

[Q UOTE="Jabuticaba, post: 919461, member: 32956"]You mean using the black mulch for a week? Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES[/QUOTE]

Yes. Thanks