STUDBOOKS

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Many refer to a "studbook" and then reference a number, etc. Exactly what is the purpose of a studbook, who keeps it, etc.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A studbook documents previous ownership and history of the animal. For me it's helpful in knowing I'm not buying a closely related animal to my own (when buying for breeding purposes).

In the case of the Manouria stud book, it is kept by a curator at a zoo. (can't remember his name without looking it up)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ Who assigns a specific number to an animal and how do they track that number or positively associate that number to a specific tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Manouria stud book record is kept by Craig Pelke of the San Antonio zoo. When I hatch out my baby Manouria I send him a note telling him the sire and dam (who are both listed in the book) and how many babies. As each baby is sold, I then send him a note advising him of the new owner. My Manouria are traced back 4 generations on the captive bred animals, and two generations on the wild caught animals.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
When I hatch out my baby Manouria I send him a note telling him the sire and dam (who are both listed in the book) and how many babies.

~ So it is basically a system to keep track of captive produced numbers of a certain species within the USA?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not all species have a stud book, but the U.S. Manouria stud book that I have is the only one for the U.S. Craig, or his minions, assign the numbers to each animal. For instance, in the studbook, my captive bred Manouria phayrei, Phae, was hatched at the Honolulu zoo in July of '83. She has gone through three previous owners before coming to me, and the dates of each transfer is listed in the book. She is assigned a number, and when I list her offspring, I tell them that number.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ Several breeders have inquired about some of our near adult radiated population and always ask for a studbook number. This seems to be a vital reference to them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
~ Ok, this number is for what purpose? population? How do you verify or associate this number to a certain tortoise?

It's just like naming the animal. They've changed the numbers on the new studbook, and I have the old book here in front of me, so I'll use the old number.

For my female, Phae, her number is 147. Just like I know her name is Phae (and you know your tortoise's name is Cowboy), I know that her studbook number is 147. So if I tell someone she's in the studbook, #147, they can find that number in the book and see her history. The number is merely a record-keeping thing.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
It's just like naming the animal. They've changed the numbers on the new studbook, and I have the old book here in front of me, so I'll use the old number.

For my female, Phae, her number is 147. Just like I know her name is Phae (and you know your tortoise's name is Cowboy), I know that her studbook number is 147. So if I tell someone she's in the studbook, #147, they can find that number in the book and see her history. The number is merely a record-keeping thing.

~ Ok, so basically this entire tracking system is voluntary and verified by word of mouth and reputation?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, the stud book says that tortoise #1000 belongs to Joe the Plumber, so if a person is saying he has animal #1000, then he must be Joe the Plumber and probably has the identification to prove who he is. I suppose eventually we will all have pit tags in our tortoises for further identification.