Struggling w humidity still. In closed chamber.

JacobK

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hey all, having a hard time keeping humidity at 60% and absolutely cannot get to 80%. Attached are photos. It’s all pvc, 4x2x2. I have sealed up most the air vents, leaving only a couple open. Substrate is all orchid bark. Thanks for help!

Charlie is on some deworming meds right now and has a respiratory disease panel in the lab waiting for results. Giving him Ceftazidime injections currently as exotic vet recommends (vet owns a 10 year old sulcata). Charlie has been lethargic and sleeping most the day. Still eating and not losing weight but I am worried about him.

Attachments

• IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3506.jpeg
    IMG_3506.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3508.jpeg
    IMG_3508.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That substrate is orchid bark? Looks like wood chips to me. Or did you replace it with orchid bark after this pic was taken?

JacobK

Los Angeles
That substrate is orchid bark? Looks like wood chips to me. Or did you replace it with orchid bark after this pic was taken?
Here’s a photo of the item, would love a link to something better if you have it!!
Ty

Attachments

• IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I would suggest to cover top rows of vents, leaving only 1-2 bottom rows.

If you use these gauges on the wall for measurements: Temperature and humidity meters should be at tortoise level (1-2 inches above substrate). Hygrometer is just near the basking lamp, so it will show lower humidity than in the rest part of the enclosure. And last, but not the least, gauge type meters are inaccurate - you may get a cheap digital meter from a hardware store for more precise measurements.

JacobK

Los Angeles
Hello!
I would suggest to cover top rows of vents, leaving only 1-2 bottom rows.

If you use these gauges on the wall for measurements: Temperature and humidity meters should be at tortoise level (1-2 inches above substrate). Hygrometer is just near the basking lamp, so it will show lower humidity than in the rest part of the enclosure. And last, but not the least, gauge type meters are inaccurate - you may get a cheap digital meter from a hardware store for more precise measurements.
Great I’ll switch up the vents and pick up a digital hygrometer w a probe thank you. If still struggling I’ll circle back

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You also need to wet the substrate. It needs to be damp wet not just sprayed/spritz wet.
Yes, those gauges are worthless and not accurate. Digital is needed and at tortoise height.
I agree to cover the top vents. Even all vents can be closed off. They get enough air by the fact the enclosure is not air tight and when you open it to feed, clean, etc.

JacobK

Los Angeles
You also need to wet the substrate. It needs to be damp wet not just sprayed/spritz wet.
Yes, those gauges are worthless and not accurate. Digital is needed and at tortoise height.
I agree to cover the top vents. Even all vents can be closed off. They get enough air by the fact the enclosure is not air tight and when you open it to feed, clean, etc.
When I put the substrate in for the first time I mixed it with water in a tub, it dries out fast I don’t know what the problem is. I even spray it so much I empty an entire bottle into it each time, the water gets to the pvc on the bottom even

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
When I put the substrate in for the first time I mixed it with water in a tub, it dries out fast I don’t know what the problem is. I even spray it so much I empty an entire bottle into it each time, the water gets to the pvc on the bottom even
Do you have it deep enough? I kept mine around 4 or 5 inches deep.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the same question as Tim Carlisle, is it deep enough?
If there isn't much depth to it, it will dry out fast.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I’ve got just an inch and a half, my lights are hanging inside I’m afraid of bringing my baby tort any closer to the basking bulb
Hmm. Quite the paradox. Not feasible to modify the top of your enclosure? I'm on my phone right now and can't really tell the dimensions of the enclosure (old blind dude here).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What type of heating lights are you using?
You could add more substrate every place except right under the heat. Add another inch there and two inches more every place else.

JacobK

Los Angeles
I suppose if that’s what I need to do I can get a lower wattage incandescent flood, maybe at that point will have to meddle with the CHE as well to dial the correct temps again. Haha I can’t tell you guys how many times I have had to re do everything

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I suppose if that’s what I need to do I can get a lower wattage incandescent flood, maybe at that point will have to meddle with the CHE as well to dial the correct temps again. Haha I can’t tell you guys how many times I have had to re do everything
Put the che on a thermostat and lower watt basking bulb.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I was thinking... the nice thing about incandescents is that you can connect them to a dimmer. Might be an idea. Just use a temperature gun and adjust the dimmer to the correct heat. I do that for my water turtles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh the Che is already on thermostat, what I mean is if I lower the wattage of my flood, the overall ambient temp will decrease. So I’ll need to maybe increase the CHE wattage
Your current CHE should be able maintain temps day and night, regardless of the basking bulb.

I'm able to maintain the correct temps under basking bulbs in 18 inch tall PVC chambers. You should have no trouble in a 24inch. What wattage bulb are you using?

There is too much ventilation somewhere, or the gauge is faulty. I'm able to maintain 80% humidity in Animal Plastics cages with all of the vents wide open and bone dry Sani-chips substrate with just a water bowl and a humid hide for some of my snakes. You really should have at least 3 inches of substrate, but even without it, humidity should stay up for you. Cover all the vents, and get that digital hygrometer in there. Don't spray the substrate, dump water into it. Spraying the surface does nothing.

JacobK

Los Angeles
Your current CHE should be able maintain temps day and night, regardless of the basking bulb.

I'm able to maintain the correct temps under basking bulbs in 18 inch tall PVC chambers. You should have no trouble in a 24inch. What wattage bulb are you using?

There is too much ventilation somewhere, or the gauge is faulty. I'm able to maintain 80% humidity in Animal Plastics cages with all of the vents wide open and bone dry Sani-chips substrate with just a water bowl and a humid hide for some of my snakes. You really should have at least 3 inches of substrate, but even without it, humidity should stay up for you. Cover all the vents, and get that digital hygrometer in there. Don't spray the substrate, dump water into it. Spraying the surface does nothing.
ok thank you, I have had 80% no problem with the hydrometer probe in there now. Think my other guages were just giving faulty reads.