Strange problem with my "bearded" sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantAaroN

5 Year Member
Recently, I noticed something a bit odd around the mouth of my tortoise. Around his mouth was a little white, which I figured was just him messily eating his food with the powder around his mouth. This really couldn't be a problem because I add a little calcium powder to his food 3 times a week. However, a couple of days later it seems like he has grown a five o'clock shadow kind of look around his mouth. I am not really sure what it is, I figured he could be eating his substrate or be dehydrated but I have never seen him eat it and he gets soaked quite often, sometimes twice a day if I get a chance. He seems to be drinking the water when I soak him, so I can't really find out what is wrong. Anyone have any ideas or similar problems to this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sometimes when you see dark around a tortoise's mouth its because he's eating his poop.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
When you soak him does it go away? Can it be rubbed off?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do have water available to him 24/7 right? Your thread kinda sounded like you didn't. Also, if you can post a pic that would help. Probably the poop eating. Do you find a lot of poop in his enclosure? If not, you now know where it's probably going:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh yes. The dreaded "blackmouth" disease... AKA corprophagia... :D

PantAaroN

5 Year Member
I have water able to be accessed by him 24/7 in case he wants to soak/drink etc. In fact, I need to get a new water bowl for him, the petco ones are too steep and cause him trouble getting in and out of the bowl. I find poop in his enclosure but not as often as I would expect, so you may be on to something. I have attempted to rub it off but he hides before I can even touch his mouth. He doesn't seem sick, it is just really awkward and I am not really sure on how to treat it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
RE: Strange problem with my "bearded" sulcata

It is so funny...the title of the thread "bearded sulcata"
It made me chuckle ;)

PantAaroN

5 Year Member
RE: Strange problem with my "bearded" sulcata

Well I fed my tort yesterday before I went to work, had a family member check on him while I was gone. I asked my family member if there was poop in the enclosure and he said yes. However, when I got home there was not. So I guess that means the story is true, he is eating his own poop. However, the new questions are:

Why does he do this? I read it was because of lack of nutrients but I have also read "It is what they do."

How bad is this for him?

How do I get him to stop?

I am hoping he is just moving slow today, but he has been very lethargic today and if it keeps up I will end up taking him to a vet here pretty soon. I am just worried of his overall health.

Status
Not open for further replies.