Story MUST be told

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
I know this is supposed to be in "Lost & Found" but it's such a story.....some of you may remember that last October, we lost little Bella....then she showed up a couple of months ago...she had gone off and hibernated. Then I posted about two weeks ago that she had somehow escaped a cement enclosure...heart broken again!!!!!!! We ran an ad in out local little paper....it's really more of a few page flier sorta thing...I live in Winslow and it's only 10,000 people...no one called...today my husband came home from with Bella in his hands!!!! Of 10,000 people...the secretary where he works had her. Her dog came up with something in it's mouth, being very gentle and careful and it was her....she had her a day or so and then remembered my husband mentioning we had lost or Tortoise. She lives two blocks away on another street. Of all the people who could of found her out of 10,000 people.......

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
It's definitely her!!! I guess she either walked it or someone found her and put her down....and she walked some more....the dog was in their back yard so Bella had gone into their back yard via the alley

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats a very nice ending to hear, now you need to really Bella proof her enclosure..

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
She's fine. I fed her and put her in her enclosure (after scrutinizing it well) she went right to where I feed her...she has always been hand fed but I had been trying to deter that some...she needs a good soak but we'll do that tomorrow...she is inside right now as I don't leave her out at night anyway

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you didn't ask for advice, and I'm happy that Bella has come home once again, but...

Its time to clip Bella's wings. Someone needs to sit there with a good book, under the shade of a tree, and just watch her to see how she's getting out. My bet is on climbing. I think you'd be surprised at just how good Russians are at climbing.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
We put a "lip" over the top of the blocks, about an inch over hang, inward of the enclosure.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that since the last escape?

That should do the trick then!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm glad you got her back! I was just in Winslow yesterday. Didn't see any tortoises though.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Ya know.....I've been thinking though. I caught my dog inside her enclosure the after she was gone....I'm wondering if perhaps he took her out and dropped her. He's not allowed in the front yard as he is still a puppy and he chews up everything....just a thought

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
In that case, besides the 1" lip overhang, put a top on it, or you're going to have a disfiguired if not dead tortoise. Or build walls high enough where yours or anyone elses dog can't get in it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad she is home and not out standing on the corner.... :rolleyes: :p :D

The dog may have done just that, if so your very very lucky he didn't just chew her up, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.