Storm coming in, what to do!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootRosie

5 Year Member
So I live on the Oregon coast, I'm a pretty new tortoise owner I have a roughly 4 year old Redfoot tortoise. She lives inside in a nice indoor enclosure that I had built for her. My dilemma is, there is a storm coming in this afternoon and tomorrow that is expected to knock out power. If the power does go out, what do I do to keep her warm?!
Thanks for reading, any help/ideas would be appreciated! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I'm westside cascades, Oregon. Yup, you'll be getting 60mph gusts. Water heaters hold the water for a longish time. You can use water bottles to help radiate heat. If you have wood heat, warm flat rocks as well. Move your tortoise into a smaller enclosed habitat that will be easier to keep warm. Hope this helps.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
had a winter storm here few weeks ago, I started bumping up the heat a degree at a time and turned on the heat lamp in the pen 3 hours early so the tort could warm up before the power went (you really want to get it woke up before you start your "adventure") my power went and after raising the temp in the house 5 degrees before hand it was only 8 degrees below norm when power was restored 9 hours later. I guess if you tell us more about your enclosure (is it covered or open to the room) we can come up with more ideas..
My best advice now is to make sure you've got the tort warmed b/4 you lose power..

RedfootRosie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback, still have power but the winds are picking up, Ive kept the enclosure a little warmer, and I went out and bought a hot water pad thing to use just in case, but I think we will be good :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I unless have hand & feet warmers. You can buy them in bulk in amazon, I think. Then, I open them and put them in the enclosure wrapped in a towel. When they are the desired temp I move it to a corner and put the tort on top of them. They can get reall hot in a small space so you have to make sure they are not too hot but they really work and last a long time. A hot water bottle will last a long time too. We lost power for 5 days once and we boiled water on a portable camp stove and put it in hot water bottles.
I hope you do not lose power, good luck!!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
It the top of enclosure covered? That will help hold in heat. We lost Power in the middle of a snow storm once and I had a huge down comforter I wrapped around enclosure... That helped insulate it we had no power for 4 hours temps in the house went down to 50 before power came back on .. Temps in enclosure stayed around 75 with use of hot water bottles and comforter.

Status
Not open for further replies.